Mother in law hates Blackberry, what's Android device should she look at?

Last Updated:

1. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let me start off by saying that my mother in law is not at all technologically savvy, but she hates her Blackberry with a firey passion. Yes, when she asked the rep at the store for something that was "user-friendly" he suggested a Blackberry...

Anyways, she's had about enough of it and after seeing my wife and my Android devices she's thinking about going that direction. I know nothing about the Sprint phones but she likes the service and wants to stay with them.

So, for someone who's not ever going to be benchmarking or running lots of 3D or anything, what's the best, most user friendly Sprint Android device??

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Basically the HTC EVO or the Samsung Epic are the top of the line. Next step down would be something like the HTC Hero or the Samsung Intercept. The two lower grade phones will work fine for someone just using basic functions. User friendly is going to pretty much be the same on all of them. They all have slight hardware and UI variations but Android is Android

3. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I'd say just a simple cell phone.

4. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Really the only android phones I'd recommend from sprint right now are the epic or the evo. Yes they're top of the line phones but they're also the least buggy and the most things on them work as they should. If you're going to be stuck with a phone for a few years it might as well be a good one.

My wife is pretty tecno-slow too and she didn't have any problems learning to do most of the basic stuff on her epic. I don't expect to see her rooting it and building her own custom roms any time soon but she gets along just fine on it for what she needs it for.

If you can't talk her into an epic or evo my next recomendation would probably be the transform. It appears to be a revamped moment but with a lot less bugs.

5. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Normally I'd agree, but for her work she needs to be able to receive/send emails on the fly, use the internet, etc.

The Evo and Epic are the only two I'm even remotely familiar with, probably massive overkill for what she needs but if they are the least buggy I'd still send her that direction.

6. Blackbeauty212

Blackbeauty212 Member

I would look at the Optimus S - Getting the Best Reviews of the low end and its only 50$ with Froyo... or the Transform...this is if she wants android....

EVO and Epic would be too much for her.

7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I agree it would be more phone than she needed, but exactly why would either of those be "too much phone" ?

I think it would be the opposite. Nice big screen so she could see better, very little lag when switching between functions (big plus coming from a laggy as hell moment), and compatible hardware that will be updated for quite a while still. If you buy less phone she's liable to stuck with a piece of shit that doesn't get updated.

Between the epic and evo I like the epic best for people that aren't going to be rooting.

8. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Agreed. If shes a power user, I'd say EVO or Epic for sure. If she wants a solid phone thats still more than capable, I'd go with the Optimus S for sure. I've read alot of good reviews on this one. Plus the price is hard to beat.

9. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

How about an LG optimus?

I have an EVO but just upgraded one of the lines in the house to the optimus and I have to say, if I couldn't have an EVO I'd take the optimus. Very capable device and feels nice and solid, though really requires a screen protector if it is not in a case due to plastic screen.