moto android 2.2 & linux laptop

Last Updated:

1. prodigi

prodigi Member This Topic's Starter

i think i was reading something about comunucating with my laptop via my droid wirelessly like controlling one device with the other? is this true? i figure my phone is linux as well as my laptop so remote desktop sharing might be possible.....if anyone knows please fill me in....

thanks for your time guys

Advertisement
  2. CrazyTechnoBoy

CrazyTechnoBoy Well-Known Member

well, first of all, your posted this in the wrong place. lol

second of all, i think gmote and remotedroid might work. not sure though.

3. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Yes you can, gmote will allow you to control it, but if you want to have remote access, download PhoneMyPc or LogMeIn. Both work great for that. Hope this helps.

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

just curious... what would be the goal of this?

5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

There are lots of reasons to want or need to be able to access your computer from your Droid, let's say you forgot to do something at work and remember when you get home. Just pull out your Droid, and do it.

6. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    There are any number of remote apps in the marketplace. There's once called Android VNC (I think). VNC and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) are standards so all you have to do is run the appropriate server on your pc.

I use x11vnc for remote access. This will put up a VNC server so you can access it with any VNC viewer on any platform. This is good for accessing the laptop with the Droid, perhaps through your wireless. If you want to access the laptop from outside your house, that's a completely different topic. Yes, you can do it via the above method but unfortunately so can everyone else :) There's some security required before attempting it.

Btw, I have tried a number of remote control apps. They're a great gee-whiz toy but not tremendously practical, largely due to trying to control a remote large monitor with a small Droid screen. You wind up paging around and doing backflips to emulate a mouse click.

Good luck and feel free to ask specific questions.

7. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

Since most linux distros have a VNC server app bundled with it, you can set that up and access your linux desktop using a VNC client on your Droid. The bonus is then you could easily access that linux desktop from a PC, Mac, or other linux box.

However... given that most old-timer linux/unix guys are command line oriented, just ssh from your Droid to your linux PC using something like connectbot. Works great over 3G to keep things in text form. :)

To transfer files over the internet between my linux box and Droid, I use sftp from my Droid to my remote linux box. To access my remote Droid from my linux machine (over the internet), I use SwiFTP,and it works great. If both machines are on a local wifi net, you have even more options (SMB/CIFS, etc.) Neall

8. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Are you running one of the ddns services to keep track of your IP. I've been thinking of setting up a vpn to get back into my box at home.

9. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

I've been using a no-ip.org domain for years and it works very nicely. I don't use a VPN, but rather use SSH for command line stuff and VNC tunneled through SSH for anything GUI. If your router supports Tomato firmware, it has the ability to automatically update any IP changes to a number of ddns services. Makes it a complete no-brainer to operate.

10. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I have a v5 for the Linksys WRT54G, its one of the ones with a small flash chip that can't run much. I haven't used a ddns service since windows days so I need to see whats out there with a linux client.
    I was going to pay for picasa but its mobile interface is limited to just a few albums so I'm thinking of just using gallery on my box at home and then hit the html page it generates through a simple vpn from my phone. Maybe import a bunch of my data into a wiki or something too.

11. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes, I use the dynamic DNS service provided by easydns.com, which provides DNS lookup for my domain. I run a modded linux ROM in my Linksys router similar to Tomato (mine is DD-WRT) and it supports easydns directly, along with many others. Whatever router and firmware you use, just check to see what dynamic DNS services it supports, and go with one of them. I'm pretty sure even stock routers (eg: Linksys) have support for some dynamic DNS services, including the WRT54G-V5. Of course, you'll have to open port 22 on your router and map it to your linux box's local IP, so you can log into it from your Droid from anywhere on the internet.

If you don't have direct dynamic DNS support within your router, there are several external scripts for linux that can update IPs in some DNS services independent of your router. Once such example is http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient which is a linux perl script which is compatible with the DynDNS service.

By the way, you can run an SSH daemon on your Droid, but you can't log into it from outside your local network because Verizon blocks incoming requests on port 22. You CAN ftp to your Droid from anywhere on the net using SwiFTP, because they get around Verizon's block of FTP port 21 by using a remote proxy.