(Moto Droid, 2.1) Bluetooth turning on Screen?

Last Updated:

1. rschauer

rschauer Member This Topic's Starter

For the record, I am not rooted. I installed the OTA 2.1 update last week.

Before the 2.1 update, I never saw this. But recently, my screen will turn on (it will display the 'lock' screen) all by itself. It's draining the hell out of my battery; I'm down to 80% after 2 hours, just due to the screen turning on while it's in my holster. Not cool at all. :mad:

I've noticed this only happens at certain times at work. It hasn't happened to me at home yet, and I don't notice it while It's just sitting on my desk at work. I mainly notice it when I take it out before or after I take a break (leaving my desk to go out for a smoke, or whatever). So here's what I think it is...

On my work laptop (Ubuntu 9.10), I'm running BlueProximity, which probes a paired Bluetooth device (my Droid, in this case) and locks my laptop if it's not within a certain range. It *seems* (not 100% sure) that when I leave and re-enter the maximum range of my laptop's BT receiver -- i.e., breaking and then re-establishing the connection -- that the Droid's screen turns on.

Again, I'm pretty sure it's the 2.1 update that caused this to start happening. It only started happening within the last week. I suppose it could be an app, but that seems unlikely.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Anyone have any ideas for resolving? Is there any info I can provide that would be helpful in pinning down the problem?

Advertisement
  2. rschauer

I've confirmed that walking into Bluetooth range triggers the problem. Also that when BlueProximity is not running, it doesn't happen. So it's definitely establishing a Bluetooth connection that causes the screen to turn on.

Has anyone else seen anything like this since the 2.1 update? I'm convinced that's what did it; I don't see how installing an application might have done it, especially ones that aren't running in the background and have no access to Bluetooth.

3. rschauer

Sorry, but I have to bump this. I really want to get this fixed; there's no excuse for this behavior. I've been looking for a related bug report, but haven't turned anything up yet. I may need to file one; can anyone tell me what the related log files might be, if any?

4. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member

Just turn your bluetooth off unless you're using it at the time.

5. rschauer

Well, yes...that keeps the screen from turning on. But all that does is further confirm my suspicion.

My point here is that I shouldn't have to turn the Bluetooth off, because I didn't have this problem before the 2.1 update.

Also, maybe I should state that I do use BlueProximity all day at work. Call me lazy if you like, but it's very convenient for me since I'm required to lock my workstation whenever I walk away from it, which I do many times during the day. It saves a lot of time to not have to enter my password an extra 20+ times a day. So keeping BT turned off is not an ideal long-term solution.

Thanks for your response, though. At least I know somebody has read this.

6. truesouthgirl

truesouthgirl Member

Interesting concept, since my phone got the upgrade to 2.x by battery has been dying in less than a day and almost instantly if I'm actually using it. I don't use my bluetooth at all, well, on occasion, but nothing that would warrant it being on all the time. I'm going to cut it off and see if that helps. My display battery usage has been at 85%+ usage since the upgrade and it is NOT on that much.

I'll check back and let you know if it makes a difference. Certainly not a fix, but at least shows it is a problem :)