Moto Droid 2.1 update problem

Last Updated:

1. neturbo

neturbo Member This Topic's Starter

I received my OTA update Monday night and when I went to install it Tuesday morning the phone froze half way through. I rebooted it and it still had 2.01 and was unable to find any available updates.

In this case I decided to apply the update manually.

I received the following errors:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Verifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Browser.apk", 3f8fc62abd2485883a3ad48f1752c4f6a5e20d3c", "9829a1999fbc52a3fb299afd8be6a24720870c80")
    E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted

Now, a few months back I rooted the phone and took the browser files from the euro version of the phone so that I could have the pitch/zoom. I'm assuming that this issue is related to that hence the (/system/app/Browser.apk) error I'm getting

Does anyone have any suggestion here? I am wondering if manually move the contents of update.zip to the correct folders if the issue will be corrected.

Neturbo82

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

did you unroot in order to apply the update?

3. neturbo

I did not. From what I had read I was under the impressions that I would not need to unroot in order to apply the update.

Is there a simple way to unroot without losing any data?

Neturbo82

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Why would you want to unroot and not use one of the ESE81 ROMs that are so readily available for rooted phones?

5. neturbo

"Here we go again. Why would you want to unroot and not use one of the ESE81 ROMs that are so readily available for rooted phones?"

The answer to your question is stated right in my original post...to correct my current issue. I have a rooted phone with a changed browser.apk file that is causing an error in the installation. The phone will not accept the ESE81 ROM. I don't care if I have to leave it rooted or unroot it, all I would appreciate is a productive solution to the problem. If unrooting to install the stock ESE81 ROM is the solution, then I will go for it. Shrinks57, if you have a better way or a rom that will work for my rooted phone without the above error I stated, then by all means hook it up brother...

Neturbo82

6. shrink57

If you are still rooted and are able to get into recovery do a data and system wipe. Grab a ROM of your choosing (there are some great ESE81 based ROMs available that should flash with no problem) and flash it. You should be fine. You will lose your setting but your paid apps will be available from the market.

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

nope

8. neturbo

Ok,

So I wipe data/factory reset my phone.

When I start it up and get going it tried to OTA the update, freezes.

So then I go and wipe data/factory reset again, restart it and immediately try to manually apply my update.zip file

I get the same exact /system/app/Browser.apk issue.

Now I am thinking there is a major problem... Any suggestions?

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Not a major problem at all. First you need to unroot. A factory reset does not actually do that. Easiest way to unroot would be to use droidmod updater or rom mananger

10. shrink57