Moto Droid Can't Get GPS Lock

Last Updated:

1. fisheye

fisheye Member This Topic's Starter

My Droid was great, used Google Maps constantly for several months. The past several days, it started losing GPS signal lock, and today can't get a lock after half an hour with clear sky above. I have "GPS Status" app, and it shows that it is receiving signal from between 5 and 8 satellites, but none of them show as locked. Any ideas? I have already rebooted the phone, removed battery, etc. multiple times. I have turned off wifi and bluetooth with no effect.

Advertisement
  2. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Hate to ask, but are you inside under a roof or are you outside when you are trying to get a lock?

3. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

this happens to me every once in a while... and sometimes it will get a lock, but it will put me in some other state. I was driving through the gulf of mexico on my way to work in downtown chicago, the other day.

Usually resetting it a few times and waiting a while before actually trying to use the GPS makes it come back to normal... in other words, I have no idea why it does it what actually fixes it.

The first time it puts me in another state when I actually NEED GPS guidance, I'll be angry. So far, it's just been when I have the map on to look for an alternate way around some traffic or just for curiosity's sake.

4. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

I have the same issue from time to time, usually resetting it a few times fixes it. I've been off the coast in the Pacific Ocean, and in Utah a few times, all in the comfort of my home in Arizona.

5. fisheye

I tried multiple resets, and sat outside with a good patch of unobstructed sky. I think I've got a hardware failure.

6. CBLJazz

CBLJazz Well-Known Member

This happened to me and i discovered it was an app interfering with my signal.
    certain apps- particularly some news ones- mess up droid gps.

Once i removed the culprit app my gps was perfect again!

Give it a try.

fisheye likes this.
  7. fisheye

I couldn't find an offending app (removed the ones that have been installed recently). That suggestion gave me the idea to go ahead with a hard reset, which wipes all user data. It sounds drastic, but most of that stuff lives in the cloud anyway. Your paid-for apps are still in Google Store waiting for you, so I gave it a try. Phone works much better now generally, and the GPS is as snappy as it was on day 1. Thx.

8. Chugworth

Chugworth Well-Known Member

I have seen the problem happen a few times where the Droid either gets no GPS lock or gets an extremely erroneous lock. I'd ignore it and the next day it would be fine. No big deal, but I could just imagine this problem happening while a person is traveling somewhere and really needs to check the directions.