Moto Droid developers area

Last Updated:

1. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So HTC owners have XDA, where do people working on the Motorola Droid go to?

Advertisement
  2. michaelkahl

Bump, I'd like to know what we can do to get root access on this phone. I'm pretty familiar with Linux but haven't rooted anything so I'm new in that aspect.

3. aaron5610

aaron5610 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what you are looking for? MOTODEV

4. galt

galt Well-Known Member

It might be more prudent to develop for ANDROID, and then add a customization or two if you really need a Droid feature. There are many Android phones coming, and tying yourself to MOT is not a good idea.

Android | Official Website

And you do not need a phone at all to do development, until the very final testing phase.

5. michaelkahl

I'm looking for people / groups that are working on gaining root. Root = total control over the device essentially. At XDA you see people developing methods for gaining root access, building custom Android ROM's, and developing methods for loading those ROMs.
    My ultimate hope would be that root access can be gained so I can do things like use Apps2SD and maybe throw on a custom Sense UI ROM.
    If this doesn't happen I won't be disappointed with the phone, it's still great.

6. bitbuster

bitbuster Member

yes, rooting is high on my list of priorities as well! I am sure there will be options though as I expect the Droid to be sold many more times than any other Android phone yet. So there should be a whole ecosystem of "hackers" develop around this ;) hopefully....

7. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

8. michaelkahl

Let's hope you are right. I need to start reading up, I would contribute as much as possible. Since I've never done this it's not something I'd take lightly.

9. galt

galt Well-Known Member

I am assuming by "rooting" you mean getting under the operating system layers and interfacing directly with the hardware. Why would you want to do that?

10. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

so you can do nifty stuff
    and flash new roms

i too would also like a site like xda or ppcgeeks...this forum is full of people with no knowledge of anything development related...i dont know how many times ive seen "how do i text" or "how do i change the backround" threads ...they could at least add sub-forums to this for apps, development, themes and so on

11. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

Back when I had my SLVR and was doing firmware/ROM updates on it and doing SEEM changes I was frequenting the forums at modmymoto.com and it was a good collection of hackers/developers/modders. I don't see anything going there yet specifically for the Droid, but that may also be a place to keep an eye on for developer/modder action on Root access.

12. michaelkahl

In Linux the root user is pretty much like god mode. The root user can do anything and everything. This will open the pathway for installing unapproved apps like Apps2SD (storing apps on your micro sd card) and for installing custom roms that the community works on and tweaks.
    Jailbreaking the iPhone is the same thing, people find an exploit to gain root level access and then open the phone up for more than Apple intended. People just wanted to call it jailbreak because it sounds cool and sexy like Apple products.

13. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

All Droid - View topic - Possible Droid Exploit for Root

this thread is really the only talk i've seen anywhere about some root access progress. it seems like a really small forum, now at least. if they figure out what they're working on we all may migrate over there (or at least all of us who know about and want root access)

14. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

this looks live a very promising forum. signing up now ;)

15. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I posted about the VirtualBox VDI for an OS with the Android 2.0 SDK pre-installed, and I was one of the ones that grabbed it. I have yet to do anything significant with it, but it boots perfectly fine, so I hope to get into learning more and more about Android as well as working with apps and (hopefully) the OS itself....