moto droid for htc eris

Last Updated:

1. tonwarr.the.destroyer

tonwarr.the.destroyer Member This Topic's Starter

I have a motorola droid but would like to trade for htc droid eris, minus the memory card. I live in wisconsin and would prefer a local trade. I understand some might say motorola's offering is the better of the two but personally, I can't get used to the physical keyboard.

Advertisement
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Before you are sure you want to do that make sure you understand the Eris is soooooo much slower. I tried it first because I didn't want a physical keyboard and the physical design of the Eris is so much better than the Droid. I couldn't handle how slow it was so I tried the Omnia II, just as slow even though it had an 800mHz processor. I eventually bought the Droid and while I hate the physical keyboard it is still the best you can buy on Verizon.

Also remember Eris has no Google Navigation which is one of the few advantages the Droid has over the iPhone.

3. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

You don't have to use the physical keyboard on the 'droid. I don't. I Swype.

4. tonwarr.the.destroyer

I originally had the eris but the battery drain annoyed me, and yes it was slower, so I switched to motorola's offering which is a sound device but there's things about the eris I miss. The ui on the eris, in my opinion, is superior and their virtual keyboard is the best I've used. I'm a widget junkie and the 7 homepages cater to my obsessive compulsive nature. I love the android platform but unfortunately I currently own the wrong phone. Lol

5. tonwarr.the.destroyer

Is swype a decent application?

6. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

A home replacement would give you 7 screens.

7. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Active Member

I love swype! Its very intuitive and so easy to use and much better then the standard virtual keyboard. I would definitely try it out especially since its free

8. tonwarr.the.destroyer

How would I do a home replacement?

9. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

There's plenty of them (GDE, DXTOP, etc). I'm personally using Home++ with 7 screens. Also, we'll probably be getting OS 2.1 soon, which is rumored to have 5 screens, which is still better than 3! :)

Search the forums for reviews. These are all available in the market.

10. tonwarr.the.destroyer

Wow thanks for all the help! Using Swype right now and I must say, this really changes the way I look at this phone! Definitely looking forward to adding more homescreens to this. I think you guys just changed my my mind!

11. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

Glad we could help! :D

12. tjrocks91

tjrocks91 Active Member

definately dont go to the eris

13. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

I'm using home++ (7 screens) and swype...(which can do copy/paste btw :D ) I'm finding my main uses for the keyboard are:

Makes for easier web browsing in landscape mode (more screen real estate, something to hold onto, better cursor control).

Entering things like passwords/email addresses and writing anything about my work (I work in a bio lab and it's all a jumble of unrecognizable jargon and strange abbreviations).

Letting someone else use my phone.

Although I might not use it on a given day, I'm glad it's there for these purposes.

14. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I just installed Swype and made it my default keyboard. It's pretty cool!

15. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I've also switched to Swype, but it does pose a problem when typing in websites, user names, and passwords. But, ah, that's where the physical keyboard comes in handy. Just pull it out and no need to switch anything up. All touch phones won't have that.

16. tonwarr.the.destroyer

I've definitely realized how big of a mistake I almost made! With the addition of swype and home++ I look forward to using this phone now. The physical keyboard has its uses but the stock virtual wasn't nearly as user friendly as the eris. Thank you all who looked over me and prevented me from making a mistake.

17. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

You may have already discovered this, but Beautiful Widgets and Weather Widget Donate will give you the flip clock and weather that the HTC phones have. They both cost (like $1.49 or something), but it was one of the things I coveted most from the Eris.

18. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

Weather Widget Donate will give you more of the "HTC" look. The developer of Beautiful Widgets had to change his look due to HTC's S&D letter. Anyway, you can see screen prints of both in the Market. :D

19. tonwarr.the.destroyer

Both beautiful widget and weather donate look great but the weather doesn't update like it should. I chose weather donate.

20. pilotcharles747

pilotcharles747 Well-Known Member

of course u already heard but if you would have switched back to the eris, you would be kicking yourself when 2.1 would have launched, especially if the rumour is true, that it will have more screens and a moving background.
    I think the reason the eris is going for crazy cheap, other then more are buying the droid, is the nexus is probably going to replace it. Eris fans like the slim design, but hate that its stuck on 1.6. Wouldn't be surprise to see eris users dump it and go nexus.

21. shademar

Back to selling I see! ;) Best of luck with whichever phone works out for you tonwarr.

22. tonwarr.the.destroyer

Yeah, I still have the eris on the brain. lol I just felt a little more comfortable with the eris, shortcomings aside. I dint need the fasted our best phone, I just want to feel like I have the right phone for me. I love swype and home++ but the ui still isn't the same, obviously. lol

23. shademar

Aww, how're we gonna get our retention kickback from motorola now? (I keed!) Hope the trade goes well and that we all get 2.1 soon :D