1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Moto Droid Maxx Cases and AccessoriesTips

1. murhaava

murhaava New Member

I just got my otterbox commuter in the mail that I ordered from Verizon site. Mine did not have the screen protector in it either, even though the verizon site specifically said it came with the self-adhesive screen protector. I went into my local verizon store and they use a different database to pull their info from. The one they looked at did not mention the screen protector. They were pretty dumbfounded when I pulled up the site that I ordered off of and it stated the screen protector.
  2. Optimus Prune

Optimus Prune Well-Known Member

Verizon doesn't know what their own site says about the Otterbox case they are selling. Not to be outdone, Otterbox doesn't even know their case exists in the wild, or at all, for that matter. This is rich.
  3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Anyone have the otterbox defender? Mine has issues when making a phone call, the screen goes black and won't turn back on. Really weird... I like the case but I'm afraid I'll have to return it :banghead:

Seems the screen protector messes with the proximity sensor. Ugh.
  4. Optimus Prune

Optimus Prune Well-Known Member

Others have posted of issues with their screen going black and it has turned out to be a screen protector interfering with the proximity sensor, yes. But the other case that comes to mind was a guy who was cutting a different template to fix the Maxx and it just wasn't the right fit.
    330D likes this.
  5. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a decent thin case? I ordered a Diztronic earlier this week and believe it or not its still not here. I usually always order from them and get it within 2 days. Just sent an email to their support. Thanks guys.
  6. Trooper

I think I am going to return mine too. Not really enjoying it and also does not work with the car dock.
  7. swany1970

swany1970 Member

I'm using the incipio feather case. Ordered it thru amazon. It has good feel an doesn't take the shape away from the phone. I also have the bumper and the speck case. My favorite is the feather followed by the speck. Hope this helps.
    Trooper likes this.
  8. Trooper

Do you happen to have a link to that case? Also do you have a car dock and if so does it still work with the car dock? Thanks for your help.
  9. swany1970

swany1970 Member

Here's the link. I'm not sure if it will work with the car dock, it doesn't add too much thickness. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EDRWDGA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378580471&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL85

Like I said I don't use a car dock but I use this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004G1L52Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378580592&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL85

It works great if you don't use your Cd player. I have a nav in the car and use the phone for my music.
    Trooper likes this.
  10. Trooper

Thanks a lot man I will look into these both Cheers.
  11. swany1970

swany1970 Member

No problem, anytime!
    Trooper likes this.
  12. 330D

It's weird... Sometimes it's fine, others it gets all crazy. I trimmed the case and it seems better, but not totally fixed...
  13. bkes216

bkes216 New Member

I got the Griffin Reveal case yesterday and absolutely love it. It looks a lot like the bumper but also has a clear covering over the back. I got the black one. It doesn't look nice on the website, but I was drawn to it immediately in the store. Pretty thin and highly recommended!
  14. rjack22

rjack22 Member

I have the Griffin Reveal case also, only in white. I discovered I can put different things inside the clear back of the case that show through, like patterned paper I cut to fit. Makes it look like a designer case (smile). I bought the paper by the sheet at a craft store. Now I am a lady so maybe this appeals to me more that it would to most of you! Currently I am using a light blue background paper with white polka dots! You could also put in a photograph you print out. Just need to trim it to fit.
  15. tbhausen

tbhausen Well-Known Member

I got the Diztronic case and I'm impressed. Normally these TPU cases have had annoying parting lines (where the molds fit together) but this one is smooth and very professional. It's the best TPU case I've ever seen. The port openings are perfectly-finished. There are small features above and below the rear camera lens to protect the lens even more and allow the speakerphone to be heard well when the phone's lying on a table. The buttons feel terrific through it--almost like there's no case there at all. This case is a total winner. I like it so much that I'm saving the $20 price difference and taking the Incipio DualPro back. This is the 4th case I've tried (Bumper, Defender, DualPro) and this one smokes them all. Order with confidence :)
    Trooper likes this.
  16. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

For the first three weeks I was using the bumper case. I like the bumper, but, after 20 months being carried around in my pocket, my Droid 3 had dust in the headphone jack, USB port, HDMI port, and even within the removal back. Everything still worked fine, but I knew this would continue to be an issue.

So, last night I went into VZW and bought the Otterbox Commuter case, which has port covers for the headphone jack and USB port. It makes a phone that's already a little on the big side even bigger, [edit - and a phone on the heavy side even heavier], but I think not terribly so, so I am going to try this out for a while.

I may go back to the bumper case, though. We'll see.
  17. tbhausen

I'll definitely buy the commuter when the "Hornet" color combo is available. The port covers are worth their weight in gold in dirty, dusty environments.
  18. markpa

markpa Member

Yesterday I posted a 1 star review on Verizon's accessory page for the Maxx Commuter case (saying I love the case but hate the false advertising, the missing cover, and the failure of verizon's/otterbox to do anything or show any concern for the issue)

Today Verizon did the following:
    1) deleted my review
    2) updated their Commuter Maxx description: it no longer states that it includes a self adhesive screen protector.

Also, Otterbox's supervisors emailed and called me back. They ensured me that their entire Commuter series, especially the upcoming Maxx case, include a screen protector. They are also trying to investigate how Verizon acquired any of this product becuase it doesn't exist yet. :confused: They told me to return to a Verizon store and insist that a manager give me the cover that they must have removed from the packages. I sent her links to this forum, and told her that the Commuter retail package sold at Verizon makes no mention of a screen cover on the back. Other Commuter case packages show a drawing of the screen cover on the back.

The Verizon sku's listed are 77-31870, 72, 74, 76. The Otterbox site thus far still only lists 2 other color combinations 77-31459, 61.

I tried the Verizon bumper case and don't like the seam/3 part construction where the red color band is running all around the side. The fit/finish doesn't feel very high quality.

FYI, the Diztronic XT1080M case is back in stock at Amazon with a promo of 10% off 2+, 20+ off 3+ Diztronic cases. Free super saver shipping over $25, or free 2day prime shipping for prime customers.
    Trooper likes this.
  19. tbhausen

It's obvious there's a communication breakdown here ;) The OtterBox cases at VZW stores are genuine. I've seen both and there's no question in my mind.
  20. markpa

markpa Member

Here are photos of my Otterbox commuter packages. They deleted "protects against scratches" and "includes screen protector". (hopefully just on the ones sold through Verizon)

[​IMG]
  21. 330D

The defender I bought is definitely the real deal. Not fake at all... weird thing vzw has going on!
  22. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

When it comes to screen protectors, I don't ever use the otterbox things anyway. I prefer the zagg/skinomi style anyway, but perhaps that's just me.

It is weird that otterbox has no idea that Verizon is selling their cases, though.
  23. markpa

markpa Member

finally a real update: "...it's not like we forgot it. Verizon just wants to make more money."

[​IMG]
    jfriend33 and Cincybearcatfan like this.
  24. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

WOW! Zing! Who's not afraid of BIG RED?

Otterbox that's who! :D

Otterbox, tellin' it like it is since 2013!
    330D and Trooper like this.
  25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

They're happy to take Verizon's money for the cases, though.