Moto Droid overheating alot...

Last Updated:

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, So I have a rooted 2.2 froyo moto Droid, My phone will overheat often and I will get a failsafe warning from SetCpu. I have the app BatteryLife installed that tells me the temperature of my phone and usually after 1 game of Robo Defense, my phone will be at 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Its not just for that single game, it happens on other games as well. My settings in SetCpu are: Max: 900mhz, and Min: 250mhz, CPU Governer is set to "On Demand". I have advanced task killer, and its set to kill every 30 mins, but I usually kill the apps more often then that.

I'm just curious if other people are in the same boat as me because I don't think its normal at all for my phone to be that hot. Just on the back of the phone alone feels extremely hot when I'm playing games. Keep in mind, I'm not playing games for hours on end, Usually for a max of 20-30 mins, then my phone just gets extremely hot and I have to take the battery cover off and put it against a fan to cool it down.

Please let me know! Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. Burns11

Burns11 Member

Of course it's not normal, you have your phone overclocked. Only things I can really suggest is make sure you use a low voltage kernel, ultra low if your phone likes them, and set up profiles in SetCPU.

I would suggest ditching task killer as well, it's pretty much not doing anything constructive that I have observed, just uselessly freeing up memory and making the phone slower for the tasks it kills.

3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

110F is not too hot tho... you also my want to try a different kernel some run cooler than others at the same speeds.

maybe you have a profile set to low in SetCpu ?

4. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

110F is very acceptable especially after a cpu intensive game like RoboDefense. Hell I can push my Droid hotter than that by simply browsing the internet. Now that I think about it I rarely have my phone under 107F while I'm using it.

I was much happier before kernels were able to monitor the temperature in Froyo. Now that they can I gotta fight the urge to look. Anyways your battery will more than likely bite the dust way before your cpu. These OMAP chipsets can run pretty dammed hot.

5. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

110F is a perfectly acceptable operating temperature. the phone can handle a lot hotter than that.

6. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

110 degrees is an acceptable temp. If it bothers you, experiment with some other kernels that may run cooler for you, or just clock your speed lower when playing games.

7. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

I was running the SS 4.6 1100 lv kernel for a while - temps would regularly cruise into the 130's, no issue with phone.

When I did the upgrade to 4.7 I selected the 1250 medium voltage - much lower temps all the way around, phone never sees more than 120 doing everyday stuff.

When it cooks is with games like Robodefense or when two people are connected to barnacle and active.

and yeah - 110 is nothing see - http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/144972-overclocking-droid-how-hot-too-hot.html

8. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

You could always simply bring up SetCPU and scale your speed back down to 550 or 600 or whatever your phone runs cool at when playing those games.

9. Bobcat_52

Bobcat_52 Member

If I use a low voltage kernel, my phone never overheats. When I use a medium or normal voltage it gets very hot. Over 120. I'm using ChevyNo1 low voltage 1250. Works!

10. undercoverpaco

undercoverpaco New Member

I have reached 150F+ with no ill effects...of coarse not recomended anything over 150F

11. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member

I went from Chevy uLow 1250 to 800 and my temps went from hovering around 44c (111F) to now barely getting over 40c (104F) even when charging with GPS nav on.