Moto Droid...RIP.

Last Updated:

1. skarface08

skarface08 Member This Topic's Starter

Well my droid that i have had since the day it came out has perished this afternoon. Completly dead will not turn on at all, so i went to verizon got them to send me a new 1. ive gotta ask is it gunna be a referb?? and if i can get my old one to come back on can i sell it and can i give it to one of my people on my line or will verizon go ape $h1T and not let me do that??

Advertisement
  2. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

It'll more than likely gonna be a refurb and once u get it, you'll have to send ur old one back
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

Yep, refurb. I've had this happen though and had no problems with the refurb replacement. Hopefully you'll get a good one.

4. Deanie

Deanie Well-Known Member

If you don't send it back in 10 days you'll be charged full price.

5. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

I have a sort of similar question... if I have insurance on my Droid and I say I lost it. Can I pay 50 dollars for a new one then give my "lost" one to a friend or sell it?

6. Amatherly

Amatherly Active Member

That's morally and ethically wrong. I think it's also insurance fraud, though I"m not a lawyer and couldn't tell you for sure. It's things like this that end up driving up everyone's deductibles and monthly fees.

Though I think when it's lost or stolen, they should lock the ESN, so it shouldn't be usable anymore. If they do that, it wouldn't do you any good anyway.

I wouldn't risk it.

7. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Correct. The Droid will be useless.

Also, you would be committing a felony.

8. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I'm curious...

If you had a phone and had an insurance claim because your physical keyboard stopped working (just an example), do you have to send the old phone into Insurion?

If not, I would think that you could use it as a media player along with wifi web browsing etc. right? You wouldn't be changing the ESN or anything illegal there...but it could make for a nice toy for the kids or something. Would not be useful as a cell phone anymore...but may not be useless.

9. Amatherly

Amatherly Active Member

In my experience with Insurance swaps on phones, they want you to return the old phone. I've always done it in store, so they take it right then, but when my sister did it by mail, she had to return by mail otherwise. And if she hadn't, they would've charged her the full retail on her next bill.

Granted that was several years ago, so I don't know if anything's changed.

UBRocked likes this.
  10. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Both times I've had to replace phones through Insurion, they send you a postage paid, addressed package to send your original phone back to them. If you don't do it within a certain amount of time (2 weeks or something like that) they will charge you for the replacement phone.

UBRocked likes this.
  11. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I too just had my original day one droid crap out and I just received my BRAND new in box with all accessories!! Meaning battery, charger and manuals and a shiny new awesome droid! They have completely run out of of stock on refurbs and are forced to send new units!!!! I am loving my brand new droid! Call now and see if they will do the same for you without upping your upgrade date which they did not do to me.

12. randomwyteboy

randomwyteboy Member

Droids dont have manuals....
    Moto claims they're eco friendly but we all know its so they can save money

13. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Yes excuse me a "getting started guide" rofl

14. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I'm curious if the advice someone gave me from these forums works for you. I also had a phone that would not turn on at all. Then, someone suggested that I take out the battery then place it on the charger with NO battery in the phone. I have to say I thought the person was crazy to think that this would work. I had left it on the charger all night, so what would taking the battery out have to do with it. I had already taken the battery out and replaced it without any luck. For whatever reason, it worked! Maybe you have already tried this though.

15. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Can you blame them though? How many of us actually read the manual anyways? If we do need something, the manuals online. It's just a waste to print it out anymore.

16. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

I wanted to read the manual! I was the passenger on the way home from picking up mine on release day and having ghost armor installed so I couldn't turn it on or something, I think.

17. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

Yep you can't use it anymore if its reported stolen.
    Had my previous voyager stolen, called into Verizon and they locked it down. Got a new voyager, then a month later got a strange call from someone saying they had bought my phone off craigslist earlier and wanted me to unlock it. Looked up the post, contacted the guy and had him bring it to the police station. Got it back but when I tried to let my sister use it it was completely unusable.

18. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member

That is a hot mess. "I bought your phone off of someone else. Make it so I can use it!" Douche.

If it's busted you have to send it back. If it's lost it's locked.

How many times do we have this convo on this board?

19. mcknigs

mcknigs Well-Known Member

I recently had my first (November) Droid replaced under warrantee. They shipped an "as new" Droid without memory card, battery or battery cover. I moved those things over to the new one, called the number to register the new one, put the old one in the supplied box and shipped it back. I had 10 days (IIRC) to ship the old one back without having to pay for the new one.

20. skarface08

skarface08 Member This Topic's Starter

Well I got my phone, and it was a refurb but its flawless so im happy :}

21. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

lol 1)I doubt its a felony if someone were to commit "phone insurance fraud"
    lmfao

2)I second or third or seventh all the replies in the thread about the locking off the phone

and don't be like my idiot friend/roommate at college. She continuously ordered refurbs from verizon and never returned and caused her bill(and the other ppl on her account)
    to have an almost 2000 dollar bill lol.

Make sure to return it lol

Hopefully your refurb is better than some of the ones I've gotten.

I got an Eris that froze continuously right out the box

A Palm pre with a rickety slider

and a droid with weird static during calls