• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Droid screen doesn't work

I bought my Motorola Droid in February 2010. I ended up having to terminate my account with Verizon about 6 months later, but I kept my Droid. At the time, I couldn't afford to start a new contract with another company, so I used my Droid on wifi to access Facebook and similar apps. That fall, I was taking dinner to my grandparents and ended up dropping my Droid in my grandmother's coffee. I quickly got it out of the coffee, wiped it clean as best I could, powered it off, and stuck it in a bag of rice. Up until this point, my phone was working fine. A couple days later, I pulled it out of the rice and powered it on. It came on just fine except for the screen. It stayed black, but I could still unlock it (I hadn't been using any kind of screen lock at that time) and feel the haptic feedback when I unlocked the phone. I was devastated when I realized my screen was toast. So I powered it back off, removed the battery, and stored them. I recently pulled it back out, charged it up, and turned it back on. Now I don't even feel the haptic feedback when I try to unlock it (although I may not be sliding across the right part of the screen. I have a new android phone with a smaller screen, so it may be throwing me off).

I do NOT have any kind of account with Verizon, and I know that Motorola has discontinued production on the Droid. Does anyone know of any way I can get my screen fixed? I know I'm not capable of doing it and I don't know anyone that would be able to fix it in my area. I had read on another thread that Motorola can replace the screen for a certain price. I plan on calling them at some point in the next few days when I find time around work. Does anyone know if anything else would need to be replaced, or would it just be the screen? I know the phone powers on and as far as I know is otherwise fully functional because the four touch keys on the bottom light up like normal.

Any help is appreciate. Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones