Moto Droid SD Upgrade Question

Last Updated:

1. hikersc

hikersc Active Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased a used Moto Droid that came to me with a 2GB SD card[​IMG] installed. I have installed a number of apps that have created directories on the SD card. I want to purchase a new 16 GB SDHC card but want to make sure I don't lose anything. My thinking was that I could unmount the card and shut down the Droid. Then remove the 2GB card and copy the contents to the 16 GB card. Then insert the 16 GB card and be good to go like I always had the larger card. Would this work? Do I need to be concerned about formating the card a particular way?

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I searched and did not find a clear answer. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Advertisement
  2. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I would connect the phone to a computer, copy all the files/folders you need, then shut down swap cards and reboot the phone before copying the files back.

3. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

This will work fine, My sister did this when she first got the phone since it had all her music on it she didn't realize the stock card is much larger. Just copy from card to the other put it back in boot it up and the system will never know. Make sure both cards are the same file system you may want to use your droid to format the new card once you get it.

4. hikersc

hikersc Active Member This Topic's Starter

I received my new card today and did the following:

Unmounted old 2GB card and turned off the Droid. Removed the battery and 2GB card. Put new 16 GB card into Droid and booted up. Unmounted new card and formatted with Droid. Mounted new card in USB Mode. Placed old 2 GB card into adapter and put into computer card reader. Moved all old directories from the 2 GB card to 16 GB card. Unmounted 16 GB card and tested apps (i.e. Book reader, Gallery, Music, etc.). Everything appears to work as before except I now have the added SD space. So I think I am good to go.

Thought someone might want to know in case the upgrade the SD card.