moto droid to not get 2.2

Last Updated:

1. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

Read an article that states Droid 1 can not go higher than 2.1... post later. Is that BS??

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Sure it can. Half of us are ON it! :)
  3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

yup, considering many of us are rooted and running various versions of FroYo right now.
  4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

That's total B.S.! We already have pre release versions on the Droid for rooted droids. Now, wether it'll go higher than 2.2(froyo) is another story. Do you have a link to the article?
  5. switchblade9

switchblade9 Member

I got one up date about two months after I got my Droid, is this a second update? I'm not sure what version I'm running right now. How can you tell? And if this is something new, how does one download it on the phone? Thanks.
  6. leldon

leldon Member

The article I read said that it will not get 3.0...but who knows
  7. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Go to menu> settings> about phone. If. Your running stock, your more than likely running 2.1update1. And the phone will automatically download it..
  8. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

I have froyo

and Im pretty sure that there is gonna be a OTA next month
  9. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

10. WJ1023

WJ1023 Well-Known Member

The article I read says you will need at least 1ghz processor to run gingerbread 3.0.
  11. Ru83n

Ru83n Well-Known Member

why would it matter just root and have everything and anything you ever wanted :D
  12. johnlgalt

Posted a reply to said article.

Yup - but since most of us can OC to that speed, it should not be too difficult to get a bootleg version of Gingerbread on our phones.

Not everyone roots. And it is not for everyone.
    corbinator likes this.
  13. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Root is not for everyone and not everyone roots so for about 95% of all droid owners root means nothing. Also the grammar in that article is beyond poor. I would not trust it lol. Although if Verizon said sorry no 2.2 for droid but we will give you a new Droid x lol then maybe! (Never happening lol)
  14. johnlgalt

Even if VZW said they'll give me an X for my DROID, I'd look at them, laugh in their faces...and then, quietly ask "Do I get to keep my DROID?"

If they said yes, I'd laugh maniacally as I sold the X on eBay and continued to use my DROID....

If they said no, I'd look them right in the eyes and say "You can take my DROID from my cold, stiff fingers, tyvm!" Oh, and then I'd (of course) laugh maniacally.
  15. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Since most 2.2 ROMs for the Droid are based on leaked software from Motorola specifically designed for the Droid, I think you can safely say that whatever you read is wrong.

Droid will get at least 2.2. Rooted Droids will probably get whatever latest Android release there is for a long time to come.
  16. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Always consider the source. With such terrible writing, I have a hard time taking the article seriously.
  17. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

The 1ghz is a suggested minimum not a true minimum. It won't matter anyway; with custom roms, the Droid will probably have 3.0 before most phones. The Droid had 2.2 before the official release on the Nexus 1.
  18. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member

Laughing maniacally with your maniacal laughter!!!!!!!
    sorry I'm not supposed to do that anymore!
    watch the movies!! Whenever maniacal laughter is proceded with, bad things happen. So I will laugh maniacally with you, but on the inside.
    DROID RULES!!!! Everything else is just trying to imitate the delicious droidy goodness!
  19. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I'm tired of waiting, where do I get 2.2? NM, I see I just had to scroll up :)
  20. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Also, one of Google's Android devs tweeted that it was pretty much a complete fabrication.
  21. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

I was debating whether or not to root for a long time. About two months ago, I decided I would root after 2.2 came out. Well, I got sick of waiting on Verizon to get off their butt and send us the OTA and I rooted and went to 2.2 last week. The whole process took about 30 mins, (counting time for apps to automatically redownload). I can honestly say, in hindsight, why did I wait. It's a simple process, everything works, and you get what they have been promising.

As far as overclocking goes, this processor is rated for 1Ghz from the factory. Motorola is underclocking it for better battery life and to run a little cooler. If I use it for a while, it gets a little warm, but nothing that even comes close to warranting a concern. Just root and be done with it. Run and 800Mhz to 1Ghz kernel on it, install flash, and fall in love with your phone all over again. :D
  22. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm looking for, some simple plain 2.2, I don't care about overclocking, just need flash, which one did you use
  23. bemenaker

BuglessBeast v.4, comes wth 800 Mhz kernel by default, so you don't have to mess with anything else and it runs smooth. Install flash, and be happy. :)

(I'm running 1Ghz kernel, just for the hell of it, on 800, never even felt it warm up at all)
  24. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I can;t decide. Looks like I have to root first so following those directions I have to download some silly windows app and drivers so I need to download a trial or windows and setup a virtual machine to run it under. All I really need is adobe flash.
  25. bemenaker

What OS are you running? You can root from Windows or from Linux. There is no path to root from Mac.