Moto Droid video, will not play on Eris

Last Updated:

1. Mike04090

Mike04090 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I took a video on my Moto Droid, and sent it to my friend on his Eris. He downloaded the file from Gmail and but when goes to play the file, it states that the video is not supported. We have tried converting it to a .mp4 and it will not play either, even with a couple of App's from the Marketplace same result. Yet I thought the droid/Eris both supported .3GP?

Works fine on his PC with Quicktime, and the video plays fine on my Droid.

Is it because I took it in Hi-Res mode, and the Eris does not support that screen resolution? Or did we screw something up?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I think you messed something up. I know my Eris can play full length movies just fine. What resolution does the Droid record at? It could be too big, but if its 640 x 480 or below it should at least play, if not smoothly.

3. Mike04090

Mike04090 New Member This Topic's Starter

It was a simple 8 second video. I know the MMS won't send because the camera had to be set in that mode. Now I tried settings the Low Res mode and send him a video and it worked... but for some reason this Hi-Res to his phone says its unsupported.

It records I believe at 720x480.

4. Demache

For all I know, that might be too large of a resolution. The Eris screen is 480 x 320, so the video is much larger than the screen itself. The Eris is running pretty old hardware, and it has to resize each frame down to its screen size, and that can be pretty hefty work for older phones. It might be so large it doesn't even want to bother. That's why I always encode movies to its native resolution, since it keeps frame dropping down to a minimum.

5. donoman2002

donoman2002 New Member

i downloaded a preconverted mp4 movie and put it on my sd card, but when using act 1 video player to play the video, i get sound but no video. video plays fine on pc. do i need to resize the video? if so, how would i do this?

6. Demache

If your not getting sound, its a codec problem. Try re-encoding it so the audio is more Android friendly like mp4a.