• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

skinien

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
I'm trying to decide if MotoBlur will be an annoyance on the Atrix. I've only had one Android device (Captivate) and I hated the OEM launcher. I currently use LP and it does a good job of hiding any traces of the Captivate's stock launcher.

I'm wondering if MotoBlur is just a launcher or it is more "intrusive" to the Android experience.

It is more "intrusive" (I would use the term "intermeshed") to the Android experience in that it is rather like having facebook and twitter tied into your contacts (Touchwiz was supposed to do this but I have yet to see it), as well as messaging tied into email and gmail and twitter DM's and facebook messages. There is more to it, but I have been watching Blur since the original Cliq, and it has evolved and improved quite a bit. Unlike Samsung, Moto can write decent code, and the Atrix is more than spec-wise capable of running all of these services without slowing down or lagging (the previous issues with motoblur). I will be less aggravated by Blur than I was by Touchwiz, I would recommend going to an AT&T store and asking to play with the Bravo, or better yet a Tmo store and play with the defy (should be the same version of Blur as the Atrix will have, or very close)...

Reactions: skinien and ROCer
Upvote 0
Motoblur is a bit more integrated into the core apps than is Samsung's TouchWiz. However, it's nowhere near as enmeshed (and obtrusive) as HTC's Sense. It ends up being somewhere in the middle. You can get rid of most it by using a different launcher. IMO, the remaining changes to the core apps tend to lead more towards improvements rather than annoyances (like Sense).

Upvote 0
Motoblur is a bit more integrated into the core apps than is Samsung's TouchWiz. However, it's nowhere near as enmeshed (and obtrusive) as HTC's Sense. It ends up being somewhere in the middle. You can get rid of most it by using a different launcher. IMO, the remaining changes to the core apps tend to lead more towards improvements rather than annoyances (like Sense).

I agree, but I like Sense too. Sometimes it is nice to change up flavors every once in a while (custom roms). I used to cycle between vanilla, various sense roms, and jesterBlur on my G1 fairly regularly just because change keeps things interesting... Like I said above, I prefer(ed) Blur, but Sense has winning features as well (how nice the widgets look, etc). I like the re-sizable widgets in the most recent iterations of Blur...

Upvote 0
Have a N1 here with AT&T (So far have had no problems with my N1 nor with AT&T).

The Atrix has really caught my eye. Decided today to goto AT&T to fiddle with some motoblur phones. I really did not get a feel that it was hindering the phone itself nor any of the apps (I have tried Sense UI from some fellow workers phone and Ugggh can't stand Sense UI)

But I am on the fence on getting the Atrix (plus the laptop acc) since I have had my N1 when it came out for AT&T. So time will tell and hopefully AT&T stores will get a demo of the phone in soon.

Upvote 0
I kinda like Blur. There does seem to be different versions of it (some more intrusive than others perhaps-the Droid series on vz look like they are running a different version). I like their widgets (at least on the version I used on the Cliq XT), I could use a different launcher/home replacement app and still have access to those widgets, of course that may have changed with the newer versions of Blur.

I see pics of the Atrix and see Blur and I kinda miss it. I am so ready for the Atrix to come out so I can go play with one in the store.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. It sounds like MotoBlur isn't too bad. I'll see if I can get my hands on a device this weekend to mess around with it.
If you go into an AT&T store, have a go with the Bravo. Its Motoblur build should be similar to what we'll see on the Atrix. If you go to a T-Mobile store, look for a Cliq 2.

Upvote 0
In addition to what's been said, I have the Motorola Bravo, and Motoblur can integrate twitter and facebook contacts if when you are starting your phone you say you have the accounts and want to integrate them into your phone. I did not want that, so skipped through those steps. The Motoblur messaging app includes my sms messaging which I always ignore for my dedicated sms messaging app as well as all of my non-gmail emails. This messaging app is not bad, but because I did not put my facebook and twitter accounts in the Motoblur set up thankfully I don't have facebook or twitter in my messaging app.

Motoblur has the options to integrate your social network programs with contacts, messaging, and bringing up what everyone in your circle is doing in Blur widgets but you don't have to use any of those options, and if you don't then they won't bog up or slow down your phone.

If you don't take the integration route then all Motoblur is comprised of is the phone integration, a selection of widgets, and a few extra apps. That being said, I prefer the phone icon and set-up of Blur to HTC's Sense.

Upvote 0
In addition to what's been said, I have the Motorola Bravo, and Motoblur can integrate twitter and facebook contacts if when you are starting your phone you say you have the accounts and want to integrate them into your phone. I did not want that, so skipped through those steps. The Motoblur messaging app includes my sms messaging which I always ignore for my dedicated sms messaging app as well as all of my non-gmail emails. This messaging app is not bad, but because I did not put my facebook and twitter accounts in the Motoblur set up thankfully I don't have facebook or twitter in my messaging app.

Motoblur has the options to integrate your social network programs with contacts, messaging, and bringing up what everyone in your circle is doing in Blur widgets but you don't have to use any of those options, and if you don't then they won't bog up or slow down your phone.

If you don't take the integration route then all Motoblur is comprised of is the phone integration, a selection of widgets, and a few extra apps. That being said, I prefer the phone icon and set-up of Blur to HTC's Sense.

Exactly, everyone is acting as if you have to use Blurs social integration, you don't. Sense does a similar integration but I don't see people on here complaing about that. People that have never used Blur are saying they hate Blur or Blur will ruin this phone when actually they don't fully understand Blur and how to or how not to use it.

Upvote 0
I kinda like Blur. There does seem to be different versions of it (some more intrusive than others perhaps-the Droid series on vz look like they are running a different version). I like their widgets (at least on the version I used on the Cliq XT), I could use a different launcher/home replacement app and still have access to those widgets, of course that may have changed with the newer versions of Blur.

I see pics of the Atrix and see Blur and I kinda miss it. I am so ready for the Atrix to come out so I can go play with one in the store.

Yeah I used to play with the JesterBlur Roms on my G1 and I kind of miss it too. It really REALLY bogged down the G1 though, I could only run them for about a week or so before it got annoying and I flashed back to CM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones