Motochopper? Anyone have issues?

1. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any issues with using Motochopper to root this device after the last OTA update? Also, if I don't do anything but root, can the device still take OTA updates?

There seems to be some third-party kernels ready for this device. If I backup the device's kernel using a command like this...

dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/stockkernel.img

Should I be able to simply use this command to write a third-party kernel to the phone?

dd if=/sdcard/thirdpartykernel.lok of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

I'm trying not to have to flash a recovery to the phone and keep the phone as close to being able to be unrooted as possible. Or is this even necessary now that we have stock ROM dumps that are able to be loaded via ODIN?

I'm just trying to do some research into all of this before I go take the plunge into the world of rooting on this device.

Advertisement
  2. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Well-Known Member Developer

motochopper works well.

You cannot install a kernel unless you are rooted. part of the root process is a custom recovery.
  3. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I thought Motochopper only roots it, that's it. The rest is up to you including loading a recovery and kernel.
  4. lonestariot83

lonestariot83 Well-Known Member

There is a root method called CASUAL that roots and installs TWRP. Also installs something that deals with Loki. Used yesterday. Works great. Had issue with TWRP 2.5.0.3 where upon exiting TWRP I would get a message saying something wrong with root. Since going the CASUAL route I haven't had that message pop up.
  5. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Well-Known Member Developer

The recovery is mandatory..... loading a custom kernel is optional