• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Motorcycle Mount for EVO...

Nice, I grew up in Huntington Beach, moved to Oregon in '89. Love it here but for some reason it seems to rain here LOTSSSSSS. One of my brothers lives in Temecula. You should come up here to do some riding, some of the most beautiful senic riding anywhere. :cool:

Hey I grew up in HB. I miss it. I'm currently in Beaumont and work in Palm Springs. But I have a K7 GSXR 600

Upvote 0
I'm scared to mount my cell, but I did build a mount for my gps/mp3/hands free/divx player/rearview cam.... the good thing about the gadget is it has bluetooth, and I paired it with my cell so that I know when someone calls, I never answer via the gps unit because the audio quality is terrible, but it is good to have to alert me of missed calls

Upvote 0
Hey I grew up in HB. I miss it. I'm currently in Beaumont and work in Palm Springs. But I have a K7 GSXR 600

I was born in 29 palms. Not to far from where you work. GSXR 600, sweet. My youngest daughter wants one REALLY bad. I miss HB also but the masses of people I don't. It is nice here, all seasons without the extremes of the northeast.

I'm scared to mount my cell, but I did build a mount for my gps/mp3/hands free/divx player/rearview cam.... the good thing about the gadget is it has bluetooth, and I paired it with my cell so that I know when someone calls, I never answer via the gps unit because the audio quality is terrible, but it is good to have to alert me of missed calls

Sounds like a cool gadget!!I won't be calling anybody while on the motorcycle but will be mounting for GPS use.

Upvote 0
In so cal... when you get one made give me a price... i'm interested...

Once I get my hands on a real car dock. Price will just be to ship, always happy to help out a fellow Star rider. :D
I also am interested in a dock for my motorcycle (GSX-R1000K7). I just bought an adjustable mount (seemed like the best and most universal out there) for my tank. Here's a link: Adjustable Camera Mount SUZUKI GSXR 600 750 1000 SV 650 on eBay.ca (item 380248620585 end time 12-Jul-10 17:20:50 EDT)

31eRkN3b9xL.jpg

I thought about making a custom "case" that had a screw seating in the back (or a removable nut?).

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard, and would have the best "guarantee" for the phone to not slip out if the case itself is mounted and you put in and take out the phone from the case. (metal case IMO would be the best)

I've seen a waterproof GPS case that I really liked:
ram-case-1.jpg

the only issue with this is that it'd be a heck of a lot hard to touch the screen!

Anywho, when you get a doc made, let me know. I'm very interested and will definitely pay you for your product. I don't really want to wait until the end of July for the car dock to come out for the Evo 4G, but I guess we might have to huh?

My ideal Evo 4G motorcycle dock/case: one with a screw hole/setting on the back for me to mount it to the mount above

Upvote 0
Id kike to be able to put mine on my bike as well. Pretty sure i saw so.ething where someone used a universal bike/motorcycle mount for a gps jnit. Most of tjose have a screen size that is simular to the evo.

I would like to find a mount hat holds the phone very tight tho. I ride a dualsport motorcycle and some time do water crossings or am biuncing ariund off road.

Upvote 0
Ram mounts is nice you just have to find the exact mount and i can not find one for my evo so i have emailed ram mounts on it
I am thinking about ordering one of these in the mean time. They are universal, so that means you'll be able to toss an iPod, iPhone, HD2, Evo 4G, GPS, or any other device that fits into it.

After reading the specs, it looks like it'll work for the Evo 4G. I'm going to try to make it work with my gas tank mount that I ordered off of eBay.

I'll let you know how it works out!

Upvote 0
Maybe you guys could just ride your bikes instead of trying to text/ride at the same time like squids.

Its not just text and ride
I also ride...
I want to be able to mount the phone which I use with my headphones and Pandora so that maybe on occasion I can skip songs... or at stop lights (live in the city) see what that text was that I got.. maybe it was important.

also living in Texas once I step outside the city... I am on long long long straight roads... I might like to charge my phone.. without putting a cable in my pocket to my bike. also do a bunch of road triping... so GPS is nice... currently have to have it in my pocket with the battery draining... I have to just listen with out any visual cues, and hope I can get over in time.

Upvote 0
Maybe you guys could just ride your bikes instead of trying to text/ride at the same time like squids.

wow what is it with people on this board... are you this way in real life? It'd be a wonder if you had any friends....

Are you that dense that you cant see any reason to mount a GPS on a bike? .. Like GPS? music? walkie talkie between you and other riders? I use a speedometer program since my bike's is off by a few mph and mounted so low that its actually a safety hazard to constantly look down at it....

Long rides down straight highways in the middle of the desert are monotonous.. and having a gps to see where you're going and how far you are makes it a little easier.. along with other things...

now back to the original thread about discussing a motorcycle mount for the evo

Upvote 0
wow what is it with people on this board... are you this way in real life? It'd be a wonder if you had any friends....

Are you that dense that you cant see any reason to mount a GPS on a bike? .. Like GPS? music? walkie talkie between you and other riders? I use a speedometer program since my bike's is off by a few mph and mounted so low that its actually a safety hazard to constantly look down at it....

Long rides down straight highways in the middle of the desert are monotonous.. and having a gps to see where you're going and how far you are makes it a little easier.. along with other things...

now back to the original thread about discussing a motorcycle mount for the evo
Thank you seigex :) I want mine for music/gps/camera :)

Upvote 0
I REALLY want a mount too. RAM is the best simply because the mounts have a dual set up so we can mount to the BRAKE PERCH which means it doesnt take up any additional bar space (which is a premium on my clip-ons). I just started looking for one today and found that RAM doesn't make an evo bracket yet.

The mount sits very high and is completely adjustable, but until they make a dedicated mount it is just a waiting game. The universal mounts are NOT worth the money. You can't plug the phone in and if you hit a strong bump and the GRIP isn't sqeezed tight enough your evo is airborne.

I am doing a ride from Anaheim to Fresno, then to San Fran, then Crescent city, then into oregon on a trip to take my step mothers ashes back to her home. My dad left Huntsville on his HD this morning and I am just meeting up with him in fresno. The problem is this= I have to pull off to check gps and figure out the turns to get to where I am going in fresno... or just bring extra batteries (which its too late to order since they all come from hong kong.

What I am thinking is to use my magnetic tank-top bag with a clear window and plug in the car charger and try to angle the evo in the to of the bag so I can see it... cant wait till they make a evo mount from RAM.

Upvote 0
Some thoughts, based on my experience.

Don't rely on any mount that relies solely on side clamps or a slip in design to hold the phone on a bike. While it might work fine in normal circumstances, I think we need to be prepared for the worst case, which is going down on the bike. I had my Treo mounted to my bike with one of those adjustable side-clamp mounts a few years ago, and when I got hit by a car the phone bounced about 20 or 30 feet down the road.

(Those Treos are rugged beasts: once I found the back and battery, and put it back together, it worked perfectly, even though the slide ground a hole in the external antenna cover.)

And I'm not sure I'd want to use anything that isn't waterproof. Even if you don't intend to ride in the rain, a storm can come up out of nowhere.

What I ended up with for my Treo was one of these:

RAM Aqua Box Mounts

Attached to a RAM Mount:

RAM Motorcycle Mounts

The only problem with this on an Evo is that you wouldn't be able to control anything through the waterproof cover. And the frosted screen might make fine map details hard to see.

But I basically mounted my Treo just so I would know if I was getting a call. For GPS use, I have a waterproof Garmin with resistive touch screen that works with gloves. Far more practical, if more expensive.

Upvote 0
LITTLE update... after posting on this I made (still on) a 2000 mile ride.... dropped my Evo through the dash of a V Storm at 70mph with a x been protector and cheap rubber cover from sprint...

It took 20 minutes to find all the parts, but once back together it booted right up. The screen is cracked, glass above the home icon is shattered, HUGE smashes on corners... but I'm sending this from a hotel room on my evo. It seems to be working 100% after a few glitches have worked themselves out. Most of the scratches are on the protector, but one is deep into the screen.- plus the crack all the way across has me scared to pull the protector off for fear it is holding the cracked parks together. I'll post up with pics and put a link here... GO EVO! I can't freakin believe it is still workable!

Back to the topic: I had it in my tank bag and was able to use the phone for navigation, and anything else with both leather and synthetic gloves on THROUGH the clear plastic viewing window on the top of the bag. Very Impressive... Iphone can't do that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones