• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorla Milestone App management

broli

Lurker
Apr 30, 2010
Argentina
Hi so im new to this phone, and im a little confused about app management.
I see there is a "last used" list (holding the home button), but dosnt say whats running and whats not!
some apps, like the market seem to remeber the last view, so they start there and feels like there where running all along, but where they?

let me give you a Reallife(TM) example. i open youtube, and choose a video. while is loading (not fast connnections arround here), i switch to the mails, and when i come back, the video did not only not load, but it went to the previous screen...

but apps like meebo, apear in a special "notification" are of ongoing things ...

should i assume that things not going in that special notification area are not running? is not that i feel the phone slower, is just that im a control freak. i would like to know how it works.... thanks!

PD: sorry for the mess, i had java disabled and the WYSWYG interface didnt registered the new lines

Broli, great link. I learned a lot. And actually explains some of what the OP is talking about.

I think that its because (in your example) when Youtube is put in the background, its assuming you don't want to use it anymore, and in order to conserve resources, it cancels the video. Apps that use notifications are written specifically to run in the background through services. Apps that aren't in use I believe just idle in the memory until you call them up again, or are terminated because the system needs more memory for other applications.

That's how I understand it at least. Its very different compared to how Windows manages programs, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones