• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Atrix 4g WON'T

Jerry4711

Lurker
Feb 26, 2013
I bought the phone off eBay and it was to be unlocked. I ordered a PTEL SIM but when I put in their SIM it won't connect. Then I found the APN to be locked to T-Mobile.

I ordered an unlock code and was told to put in another carrier's SIM I did and it said INVALID SIM card.

I was told when this happens it will then ask for the UNLOCK CODE. It doesn't it just says WELCOME TO MOTOBLUR and from there it guides me through setting it up and it goes through the process of trying to connect and getting CONNECTION FAILED.

I went to use PTEL because I am retiring in Costa Rica and will be coming back to the States occasionally (PTEL is a T-Mobile reseller). The phone by law in CR has to be unlocked. Plus it saves on roaming charges with two different SIMS.

I called PTEL, they said call T-Mobile, T-Mobile said call Moto, Moto said call T-Mobile. AGGGGGHHHHHHHH! :(

Does anyone know how I can get the Atrix to ask me for the unlock code?

Thank you
Jerry

I've spoken to T-Mobile several times and went to the local T-Mobile. The problem lies in no one can understand why the phone won't ask for the unlock code with a foreign SIM in it. Without the phone asking for the UNLOCK CODE I can't unlock a locked phone.

Thanks for the suggestion

Take care
Jerry

Upvote 0
I wonder if perhaps it's a SIM card issue?
Have you tried anyone with a different carrier? The only other "big" GSM carriers is AT&T. If you know someone with ATT network, ask them to place their SIM into your Atrix.
Of course - hopefully their SIM is not a micro sim, else you'll have to do some positioning or something to make sure contact is made.

Upvote 0
I am having a problem with my Atrix. I just switched to Consumer Cellular and after viewing the previously mentioned video was able to get it up and running, except that whenever I launch any GPS app the data connection is dropped so that in order to get back to the internet I have to turn the phone off and then on. CC has been of little help, even claiming that unlocked phones randomly default back to there previous service provider. I would appreciate any help with this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones