Motorola BionicGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-12-16 22:39:56
  1. kmorin

kmorin New Member

after a manfuctor upgrade i no longer see the menu "usb, mass storage, charge only" when i use my usb to charge my phone on my computer. the problem is my phone will not charge effectively when i can't change the menu. does anyone have a solution to this?;)

Advertisement
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Charge Only was removed in ICS. The "trickle charge" is still happening in the other modes.

The best solution was always been to use the wall charger and cable that came with your Bionic.

If you must use the USB method ... perhaps another USB port on your computer will be better. In many cases it is the port on the back of the unit.

... Thom
  3. macgiobuin

macgiobuin Well-Known Member

If you change the USB mode in your notification bar to "Mass Storage Unit" it may charge then. That is the only mode my Atrix 2 will charge in after the ICS update.
    Thom likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I moved this thread from the Motorola forum to the Motorola Droid Bionic forum where most Bionic visitors will expect to find it.

... Thom
  5. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

haha. you mean most bionic owners visit the "Motorola Droid Bionic" forum? Weird. =]
  6. snowwy66

snowwy66 Well-Known Member

don't know about the backside ports. but the computer itself isn't a very efficient charging device. granted the phone will charge but it takes much longer then using the wall socket.
    Duckster likes this.
  7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Charge only mode has been removed for regular phone USB connections, but remains in WebTop and dock modes. Basically, it seems that the chargeonly mode *interface* for regular phone operation has been removed.

The computer, as a rule, supplies only 500 mA of current over USB, whereas the wall charger supplies 850 mA (and certain car chargers go even higher, supplying up to 1.2 or even more A). My understanding is that the BIONIC will not draw more than 850 mA, but that is a 70% increase over a computer USB port, so it makes sense that it charges slower using a computer USB port.
    Duckster likes this.