• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola clamps down on Droid X's leaked Android 2.2 upgrade with cease and desist scare

I am pretty tech savvy as well, but I bricked my phone when I messed around with the system files on Friday night and *ALMOST* returned it yesterday (Sunday).

Then I slept on it. Got a little smarter and realized that you don't do these kinds of things (flashing SBF) in Windows (RSDLite -- which didn't work), only in Linux (command line)!! :) Then all was well.

I am liking 2.2 so far. Couple of little annoyances though: why can I not remove the slide to unlock? Either I have no security and no slide or slider and PIN/pattern lock. In 2.1 you could disable the slider which then allowed for a more streamlined experience with WidgetLocker (best paid app IMHO).

Anyone having trouble with a bricked device? PM me and I'll help you out -- I have a TON of experience now. Lol. :cool:
-Elo

Upvote 0
So what does this mean for users that already put the leak on their phone?

What do you mean? You mean regarding the cease and desist orders? Nothing really, only those who are openly hosting the files for Froyo are basically being told to take them down or offline.

As far as when an official release is made, those with the leaked version may have to revert back to Stock 2.1 and THAN install the official OTA. We won't know until it's actually released.

Upvote 0
I like that the C&D is directed toward the Droid X Keyboard Software. At least that's what they posted at mydroidworld.com. Seems weird that they wouldn't pick something else to focus on.

Not weird at all, the Droid X keyboard is moto's proprietary software. Moto must make some issue of their copyrighted software being distributed illegally, otherwise they could lose copyright on the software.

Upvote 0
What do you mean? You mean regarding the cease and desist orders? Nothing really, only those who are openly hosting the files for Froyo are basically being told to take them down or offline.

As far as when an official release is made, those with the leaked version may have to revert back to Stock 2.1 and THAN install the official OTA. We won't know until it's actually released.
So for those that didn't root and applied the 2.2 leak successfully, to revert back to 2.1, would that be done by just going into Privacy-->Factory Data Reset?

Reactions: mxsjw
Upvote 0

Actually, I have intention of ever applying Motorola's official OTA update. Now that I have 2.2 with Root, we'll soon be able to apply custom Roms and modified updates. So there's really no point in reverting back to 2.1 just to get the "official" 2.2 update. In won't be long after the "official" update hits that a custom version(s) will be available to apply via Bootstrap.

And if you install the official OTA update, you will most likely lose root.

Upvote 0
...And if you install the official OTA update, you will most likely lose root.

Yeah, but even if you do, how long will it be after the official version hits the airwaves until someone sorts out how to root 2.2? A week? Less? For those who installed the leak and are happy, more power to ya. But reading all the reports of problems, bugs, and lost usability that have been posted here the past few days, I'm glad I've waited. I'll gladly trade a week or two more with 2.1 for more stability and less bugginess in the final build. If the final version is just as buggy and troublesome as some seem to find the leak to be, well, I guess I'll have to deal with it then the way all the "early-adopters" are doing now. Of course, I'll be able make it Verizon's problem instead of having to do it all by my lonesome.

Obviously, there are happy leak-users, but there seem to be a lot of bad stories out there. I'm planning on having my X for two years. For me, I want to know when I install the upgrade and then root, that I won't have to turn around in a few days or weeks and spend time fixing my phone when I should be just enjoying it.

(Of course, when 3.0 gets released, we'll all get to jump through hoops all over again). ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones