• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Devour Android 2.1 with Motoblur

II was searching the web and i saw that Motoblur was getting a 2.1 upgrade with the 2 new upcoming phones the Motorola Shadow/Xtream and the Motorola FlipOut. Even though im not a huge fan of motoblur i would love to recieve theses updates.
Also i saw that The Xtream also will have a feature called Ninja Mode which will allow it to turn Motoblur Off.
Does anyone know if the Devour will be getting the 2.1 Motoblur update?

Its not on the FAQ page anymore and it appears the Devour has been discontinued... Im probably gonna take mine back and get an Ally... I should have known better than to get a Motorola product...

So you're saying Motorola has no good products? Odd, I thought they were responsible for 40% of all android phones on the market... Seems like a few people like their Motorola product.

Motorola Droid Owns a Third of the Android Market | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
Mine keeps resetting and cutting off... Problem is, the store I go to doesnt have anymore (discontinued) and its under 30 days... I dont feel like thats my fault...

Like PP said, you have two options with Verizon:
1) If it's been less than 30 days, you can exchange it for a different phone. If you're not happy with the Devour, get something else. This will be your only chance to exchange it.

2) Do a warrenty replacement. Verizon is pretty generous with warrenty issues and devices turning on and off. I currently have a Dare (not quite eligible for an upgrade yet) and I've returned 3 Dares in less than two years with warrenty issues similar to yours. I've never had trouble getting a new one. Each phone has a one year warrenty, so the warrenty resets each time. I had one of mine for over 6 months before doing a warrenty replacement. When the store was out of stock because it was discontinued, they shipped me one and I got it the next day. If it's totally out of stock, they'll give you a similar phone, but since the Devour is so new and it's in stock at stores here, I doubt that'd happen.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Mine keeps resetting and cutting off... Problem is, the store I go to doesnt have anymore (discontinued) and its under 30 days... I dont feel like thats my fault...

I know several people with this same problem where it spontaneously turns itself off or restarts. I know people who have had their phone quit working entirely and get a new Devour only for their new one to have the same problem.

I have heard lots of speculation on why the phone does this. And let me assure you it has nothing to do with Apps you may or may not have installed. Some people speculate it has something to do with the aftermarket cover's. I don't think anyone has actually identified the true problem though. Personally I wonder if it isn't a problem with the way the battery fits in the compartment. Just speculating myself though.

Upvote 0
My phone got suck on the first power up screen and then I was told I'd be getting a refurbed Droid and they'd send me a battery. The upper level support didn't have a battery in the call center she was at so she escalated the issue...and some bamma decided we'll send her a new LG Ally instead. I think NOT. I got them to send me the Droid but lord it was a hassle.

Upvote 0
Its not on the FAQ page anymore and it appears the Devour has been discontinued... Im probably gonna take mine back and get an Ally... I should have known better than to get a Motorola product...

Devour will not be discontinued til March of 2011. Coincidentally this is also the retire date for the Droid X, Droid Incredible, and Droid 2. Makes you wonder what is coming to replace all these phones eh?

Motorola designed this phone as an inexpensive entry level Android phone.

Upvote 0
I had my Devour for a few months could i really just Take it back and trade it for a different Phone? because its been having so many problems like turning on and Off and freezing alot =\ and i would rather have a decive with 2.1 atleast

How many people out there have this problem with their Devour rebooting or turning off? I am on my 3rd Devour because of this problem. The sales rep I talked to at Verizon insists it is not a common problem and I was like? Oh so lightning just struck me 3 times then?

Please chime in if your devour does this. If you know why it does this or you know how to solve it please let me know.

Upvote 0
thats just dumb they have it all ready for the other devices It doesnt cost Any money to just install it on the devour

Actually each new version of Android has to be modified specifically for each phone. You can't load Android 2.2 for the Droid X onto any android phone. There are hardware differences that must be programmed specifically for. Drivers sometimes must be modified to accomodate new system services.

If it was that simple all you would have to do is download the source code yourself, compile it, and install it on your phone. You wouldn't have to wait for the OTA update. And we would have all had Andoid 2.2 the day after Google released it.

Upvote 0
How many people out there have this problem with their Devour rebooting or turning off? I am on my 3rd Devour because of this problem. The sales rep I talked to at Verizon insists it is not a common problem and I was like? Oh so lightning just struck me 3 times then?

Please chime in if your devour does this. If you know why it does this or you know how to solve it please let me know.

My wifes Devour had all of the same issues. After sending back three phones, I made Verizon give her an Eris. I had do find a battery cover on Amazon.com, but it was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones