• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2.1 Details- Official from Verizon's Support Page

That is wonderful that you don't care but how does that give us info on the 2.1 update as the thread is titled and meant for?

While Radikal's comment may not have given you any new info about the 2.1 release, this is a forum. He is entitled to his opinion and can state it in this thread. It was on topic.

I notice you didn't call out the prior posts in this thread that basically said "Yay". They didn't "give us info on the 2.1 update"...Just sayin...

Upvote 0
LOL how about we all wait until Thursday before we can discuss phone updates :p. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear most of the 2.1 features are comming. I totally understand why the 3d app drawer isn't included since the landscape is gimped...but u can always hack that onto your phone without root. I'm eager to see the update for my wife's Eris too...I want her to use some of the 2.0 features.

Upvote 0
! Please...

If you do install the 2.1 corrupt-date, start another thread or find one that someone else who installed it has started. Let's try to keep the contents of that thread homogenous. Posting all about it here already means that people who want to read about it have to wade through two pages of jibber-jabber about the what-ifs, what's the bestest, and the pros of root vs tuber.
At least with a new "clean" thread on the 2.1 experience we shouldn't have to deal with "just root and you'll have all dat, y'idgit" type comments tossed in (for who's benifit I'll never figure out).
I'm all for hacking the snot outta yer Droid, but even I would like to read about the 2.1 update without such comments.

Edit: Nothing against those who have commented here, mind you. Just saying that I (for one) would just like to read an easy going thread about 2.1 when it comes out that isn't loaded up with the usual "but isn't this better...?" digressions, that's all. Not trying to offend.

Upvote 0
The additional home screens would be nice, I'll give you that, but now that we have Helix (or any of the other home replacements that might float your boat) it's not such a big deal. Honestly I use Better Cut & Apps Organizer to keep my stuff situated. I don't like having tons of homescreens with apps everywhere because it gets to be a pain swiping back and forth 5-7 times to find what I want. I use Apps Organizer and keep everything grouped together for easy access and I still have a few spots left on the stock 3 screens right now.

The 3D drawer would be cool I'll give you that; but when 2.1 actually gets to me I would imagine i will still use the Helix launcher. I already use the updated Google Maps and Gallery as it is.

Upvote 0
The additional home screens would be nice, I'll give you that, but now that we have Helix (or any of the other home replacements that might float your boat) it's not such a big deal. Honestly I use Better Cut & Apps Organizer to keep my stuff situated. I don't like having tons of homescreens with apps everywhere because it gets to be a pain swiping back and forth 5-7 times to find what I want. I use Apps Organizer and keep everything grouped together for easy access and I still have a few spots left on the stock 3 screens right now.

The 3D drawer would be cool I'll give you that; but when 2.1 actually gets to me I would imagine i will still use the Helix launcher. I already use the updated Google Maps and Gallery as it is.

the biggest thing i wanted is homescreens so i can fit my calendar and stuff (like the eris) on a single homescreen... i'm not sure i quite understand helix, is it a replacement for 2.1 home or what? i mean, will it get rid of the 'live wallpaper', etc ... ? is it something i can switch to using and going back to the native home?

i've also heard a lot of bad things about it like mass force closures and looping (causing people to have to factory reset). im kind of scared to even go there yet :( i really want the extra homescreens though!

Upvote 0
Having a spare screen for just the calendar and perhaps a reminder app would be a nice idea I think as well. I did that previously when I was running dxtop or home+++ but I really found myself not using it as much as I thought I would so I just ditched it for the time being.

For the most part the replies I've seen in this and other boards about Helix; the majority of people are having a positive experience with this home replacement. Personally mine is still running great, which is more than I can say for any previous replacement launcher I've tried.

It's as of right now, it's a replacement to the home screen/launcher for 2.0.1.. so when 2.1 comes out you'll probably need to reset it as your default home if that's the route you want to go. If you're currently rooted you should still be able to use the live wallpapers.

Upvote 0
Thank you for pointing this out. The thread will likely get out of hand as does every single one on this sort of topic. Please, do not let this happen! Before you post comments such as these and get into pointless arguments with one another, take a good hard look at the following:

Site Rules and Guidelines
Zero Tolerance Policy

You have been forewarned!
Muscles!

Upvote 0
All in good fun.

Seriously though, I'm rooted but still looking forward to this 2.1 OTA to come out. Maybe they will surprise us with something that no one has talked about. I don't know, I'm just an optimist I guess.

I highly doubt it. The 2.1 update is based on the ESE53 build which was released to developers sometime last month.

Upvote 0
i'd like more screens, but i second the Apps Organizer recommendation. it works great.

Upvote 0
i was waiting for the longest time for this update, then i got impatient last night, and did the no no and rooted and used blackdroids ultimate droid 7.8 with helix and it feels like everything they describe in 2.1 update to me besides the 3d app drawer :p but then i read this to find out damn now the real update is coming out, but then i hear only 3 screens still, booooo i have 7 lol i like it much more, i have 5 screens full now. but i will still wait and listen in to what people say about 2.1 and if its good and they are better than the rooted versions then i will transfer to the real 2.1 otherwise i will just wait personally for updates on the programs i use in ultimate droid

Upvote 0
I just thought I would let everyone know that on the site www.verizonwireless.com/droidsupport they have changed the slides to show ESE53 on the instructions on how to update and got rid of the 2.0.1. However does anyone else find it weird they are not putting 2.1 anywhere and just ESE53? I don't mean that as like conspiracy that it is not 2.1 lol just I do not get why they would not label it that. Also it is only 14.8 mb?? How is it so small!!!!

Upvote 0
this is kind of lame to say cause I really love my droid, but I'm stoked that this is going to work with my free yahoo email. shouldn't have had too wait this long. to this day I couldn't get it to update properly.
is the ota update going to work with my home++ the same? I really like that home replacement.

I've had Yahoo email on my Droid since November 09.

YouTube - Motorola Droid: How To Setup Yahoo Email

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones