• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2.1 Details- Official from Verizon's Support Page

sorry for my lack of understanding ;\ call me dumb if you must (but please refrain) .. im just still confused about what someone said that the 2.1 OTA + Helix will be sufficient... I'm not too tech savy in terms of language so please bear with me --

when you refer to Helix as a "launcher' what does this mean? im guessing it means it will start your droid with a different interface in such? is this correct? but what happens with the 2.1 updated stuff i been waiting for... could i have just downloaded Helix and gotten the same outcome as 2.1 will be with Helix?

and if you select helix as your 'launcher' (however you do that), does this mean you do not use the 2.1 'launcher'? (whatever launcher means)...

sorry this is confusing to read, im a confused person :thinking: i just need more homescreens.

thanks for any info.

Upvote 0
The launcher is just the name for the desktop. It's where you place shortcuts and widgets and use the app try to 'launch' programs. The default launcher has 3 screens you scroll to. With Helix it's 5 screens and it adds 4 permanent buttons at the bottom.

There are many, many launchers in the market including Helix, Home++, GDE, PandaHome, etc. Everyone has their favorite. Helix is just the flavor of the week.

Upvote 0
You can change the settings for Helix by pressing the menu button at any of your home screens and selecting configure.

The very first option allows you to change the number of screens.

I suggested that the OTA + Helix would be sufficient for most users because of the number of complaints I saw of 'not having 5 screens'

Well, Helix will let you have 7 if you wish, and the transitions are just as fast if not faster than the stock launcher. Also, live wallpapers will work with it when they're released.

Upvote 0
@ fab - are you running home++ or helix ?

Well, I'm using Koush's CyanogenMod 5.0.4.2 ROM, which comes standard with HelixLauncher2, which has the 3D app tray. It works perfectly with this ROM, but apparently not so well with the stock ROM. Perhaps the 2.1 update will fix this?

CAP201003171510.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, I'm using Koush's CyanogenMod 5.0.4.2 ROM, which comes standard with HelixLauncher2, which has the 3D app tray. It works perfectly with this ROM, but apparently not so well with the stock ROM. Perhaps the 2.1 update will fix this?

CAP201003171510.jpg
Nope. If anyone wants the 3d launcher, you need to be using a "special" rom. Like cyanogenmod's that was built from the AOSP. Otherwise, none of the launcher2's out there will work worth a damn on a Droid. The dependencies are just not built into any of the existing "official" Droid 2.0.1 or 2.1 builds, which are currently what every other custom rom is based on.

We've already been using the official ese53 for a week or two. The launcher2's do not work on ese53 either.

Upvote 0
My phone says C_01.3E.01P. And I am up to date. What happened to C_01.3E.02P? Did I miss something?
If your phohne says .01P, then you are not up to date. It should be .03P

Mine is C_01.3E.03P, but that's because I used the spf. I believe the only way to get the .03P radio is via that spf. Then go and use a custom rom and your radio will still be at .03P

As to what happened to .02P, well who knows. It must've had errors so they fixed it, named it .03P and tried again. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If I do the 2.1 upgrade when it finally does come out and I'm not happy with the results, can I undo the upgrade and then root?
We have no way of knowing that yet. We will know once the update actually becomes available to us.

EDIT: Yeah, I might have said "we dont know" too quickly. We assume we'll still be able to use RSD Lite and the 2.0.1 spf like Trident mentioned below me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones