• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2 Dummy Units Now Appearing at VZW Corporate Stores

I just got back from the closest Verizon store to me. I asked them if they know when the Droid 2 will be arriving at their store. The lady said she had no idea, but she thinks it is the 15th. Then I thought to myself, has a phone ever came out on a Sunday?

Oh brother... see this is something that annoys me. People like us obsess over rumors for months on end, and the employees don't even care enough to have ample information for inquiring customers.

Upvote 0
Oh brother... see this is something that annoys me. People like us obsess over rumors for months on end, and the employees don't even care enough to have ample information for inquiring customers.
But is it the employees not caring about having the information or their not having it? I would think that managers and employers play a role how much their empolyees do or do not know about new or upcoming products.

Upvote 0
But is it the employees not caring about having the information or their not having it? I would think that managers and employers play a role how much their empolyees do or do not know about new or upcoming products.

Well sure everyone shares some slice of responsibility in this situation... but it is still unacceptable on the eve of one of the largest and most anticipated product launches in the history of Verizon, for employees not to be aware of the impending release date with utmost certainty. Even if the employee or manager was a lazy unconcerned employee on the verge of being fired, you would still assume it would be common 'water cooler' small talk for employees to know far in advance the plans for devices and the items they are going to be expected to sell.

At any rate... this had me drooling View all 360 Degrees of the Droid 2 | Android Phone Fans

GUESS WHAT!? THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SHOULD COME TOMORROW!!! :)

Upvote 0
Well sure everyone shares some slice of responsibility in this situation... but it is still unacceptable on the eve of one of the largest and most anticipated product launches in the history of Verizon, for employees not to be aware of the impending release date with utmost certainty. Even if the employee or manager was a lazy unconcerned employee on the verge of being fired, you would still assume it would be common 'water cooler' small talk for employees to know far in advance the plans for devices and the items they are going to be expected to sell.

At any rate... this had me drooling View all 360 Degrees of the Droid 2 | Android Phone Fans

GUESS WHAT!? THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SHOULD COME TOMORROW!!! :)
Source?

Upvote 0

Oh sorry... I heard this from another forum member and also read about it on another website early this morning. I forget what the website was, but they basically alluded to the 10th as the official announcement, not today (Monday) which of course so far has turned out to be true. The fellow member who PMd me is very well versed and involved in the industry for quite some time, but I don't know if I should mention his name.

My apologies for not having an actual source, but my 'intuition' tells me tomorrow we'll hear something, IF the 12th is the true release date! :) Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Upvote 0
Oh sorry... I heard this from another forum member and also read about it on another website early this morning. I forget what the website was, but they basically alluded to the 10th as the official announcement, not today (Monday) which of course so far has turned out to be true. The fellow member who PMd me is very well versed and involved in the industry for quite some time, but I don't know if I should mention his name.

My apologies for not having an actual source, but my 'intuition' tells me tomorrow we'll hear something, IF the 12th is the true release date! :) Let's keep our fingers crossed...

I can confirm that the original announcement will come tomorrow. Just can't share my source.. ;)

Upvote 0
IF...the bootloader gets hacked and unlocked successfully,
this will also mean custom roms
and the ability to have true vanilla android.
This comes with a BIG IF

I have absolutely no knowledge of what is involved to hack/unlock a bootloader... but I've never seen a popular device such as the iPhone NOT be jailbroken or completely hacked with the huge amount of digital geniuses existing out there.

What is the difference between rooting your phone (which is already possible with the one click application) and hacking the bootloader?

Upvote 0
I have absolutely no knowledge of what is involved to hack/unlock a bootloader... but I've never seen a popular device such as the iPhone NOT be jailbroken or completely hacked with the huge amount of digital geniuses existing out there.

What is the difference between rooting your phone (which is already possible with the one click application) and hacking the bootloader?

Let's take this topic to the droid2 prerelease discussion thread or private message ;)
We are soooo off main topic of this thread

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
Sorry for not answering any questions. I guess I wasn't subscribed to this thread so I didn't get any updates.

The main question that I have is; How is the keyboard? The keyboard was the biggest issue I had with the first Droid. I have been hearing that the Droid 2 has a much larger keyboard because they got rid of the directional pad and that is great. I definitely want to head over to a Verizon store and get a feel for the keyboard to see if I like it.

I currently have the Droid X which I love but I think I would want to have the physical keyboard. That leads me to my next question: What OS is the Droid 2 running? I am loving the resizeable widgets that the Droid X has, so I hoping that I would be able to do that with Droid 2.

The keyboard is amazing. Comparing it to the original Droid keyboard is a crime. I had a Devour and I like the keyboard on the Droid 2 more than the one on the Devour (which had quite a nice keyboard).

The Droid 2 is running 2.2 with their custom UI. It will most likely be released that way as well.

Yeah, I hear you man. I remember I calling around to every single Best Buy within 40 miles of me and getting the same answer: We are sold out. I started calling Walmarts and got a couple that had some in stock.

My other question is I currently have the Droid X that I bought less than 30 days ago from Walmart. Do I have to cancel my Verizon contract and return the phone before the Droid 2 comes out or can I just make changes since it was less than 30 days ago and I can return everything within 30 days.

I believe there is a 30 days return policy so you should be able to return it and get another. Not sure if you'll be charged a restocking fee, though.

Upvote 0
Sorry for not answering any questions. I guess I wasn't subscribed to this thread so I didn't get any updates.

The keyboard is amazing. Comparing it to the original Droid keyboard is a crime. I had a Devour and I like the keyboard on the Droid 2 more than the one on the Devour (which had quite a nice keyboard).

The Droid 2 is running 2.2 with their custom UI. It will most likely be released that way as well.

I believe there is a 30 days return policy so you should be able to return it and get another. Not sure if you'll be charged a restocking fee, though.
I am very glad to hear that. Unfortunately for me, I have very very very large fingers so I am hoping my fingers will be able to hit the keys properly. For some reason I easily mastered typing on my iPhone 3G.

Yea I know about the 30 day return policy. The lady at Verizon did tell me that there would be a $35 restocking fee. But then I told her that I bought the phone from Walmart. I am not sure if there is a restocking fee there.

Upvote 0
I am very glad to hear that. Unfortunately for me, I have very very very large fingers so I am hoping my fingers will be able to hit the keys properly. For some reason I easily mastered typing on my iPhone 3G.

Yea I know about the 30 day return policy. The lady at Verizon did tell me that there would be a $35 restocking fee. But then I told her that I bought the phone from Walmart. I am not sure if there is a restocking fee there.

I was also told about the restocking fee via Email from a Verizon rep... but when I mentioned it here on the forums the members seemed pretty certain that is only their formal policy, and if all original materials are returned in new condition there isn't anything mentioned of a restocking fee.

Upvote 0
I was also told about the restocking fee via Email from a Verizon rep... but when I mentioned it here on the forums the members seemed pretty certain that is only their formal policy, and if all original materials are returned in new condition there isn't anything mentioned of a restocking fee.

If you buy a new phone from VZ and there is a hardware defect, you do NOT pay the $35 restock fee.
Simply make a full return within 30 days. (Bring original packaging etc)
Call CustomerCare prior to your store visit to make return and have them note your account to waive the restocking fee explaining your hardware defect.
This will prevent any resistance In store, and speed up your return transaction process. ;)

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones