• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2 vs. Samsung Captivate

TipsyGizmy

Lurker
Nov 12, 2010
I currently have both phones in my possession, but I'm trying desperately to find figure out which one is best for me.
The Captivate is beautiful, feels good in the hand, has excellent media functions, equalizer, HD video, and is a real head turner. However the messaging, blow, no emails are pushed, there is no adequate RSS feed widget, and the social networking integration is limited
The Droid 2 has Moto Blur which is absolutely amazing for messaging, social networking, and news, it also has a physical keyboard, and the GPS is awesome as well as 3G speeds, but the media functions are so so, there's no HD recording or Super AMOLED, and for some odd reason videos take longer to load form Youtube....
I know that the Captivate is like the best... but it just doesn't do what I need it to do, and Verizon has the only phone that does (Backflip, Flipout, and FlipSide, are way too much of a downgrade)

I currently have both phones in my possession, but I'm trying desperately to find figure out which one is best for me.
The Captivate is beautiful, feels good in the hand, has excellent media functions, equalizer, HD video, and is a real head turner. However the messaging, blow, no emails are pushed, there is no adequate RSS feed widget, and the social networking integration is limited
The Droid 2 has Moto Blur which is absolutely amazing for messaging, social networking, and news, it also has a physical keyboard, and the GPS is awesome as well as 3G speeds, but the media functions are so so, there's no HD recording or Super AMOLED, and for some odd reason videos take longer to load form Youtube....
I know that the Captivate is like the best... but it just doesn't do what I need it to do, and Verizon has the only phone that does (Backflip, Flipout, and FlipSide, are way too much of a downgrade)
i dont mean to troll,however i am a vibrant owner.......my son just got the droid 2 and i would say the captivate if its the same as the vibrant is a little nicer.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it comes down to which you use more. I hardly ever use the camera on my phone or video. I'm an opportunist, if a "kodak moment" arises, I'll pull out my phone and take a picture of it. I won't go out of my way to use my phone as my primary camera.

To me, messaging and email are the most important. I much prefer a physical keyboard, having used phones with both types.

Just decide which aspects of a phone are most important to you. That, or wait for one that suits your needs.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it comes down to which you use more. I hardly ever use the camera on my phone or video. I'm an opportunist, if a "kodak moment" arises, I'll pull out my phone and take a picture of it. I won't go out of my way to use my phone as my primary camera.

To me, messaging and email are the most important. I much prefer a physical keyboard, having used phones with both types.

Just decide which aspects of a phone are most important to you. That, or wait for one that suits your needs.

I'm with jradicle in this case, I've personally been a keyboard man since the days of the LG Voyager. For me its a matter of the skinniest phone that still gives me an usable keyboard. :) Just gotta figure out what phone best fits once's everyday needs.

Upvote 0
I have a D2 and my best friend has a Captivate. I'm jealous of her screen quality and screen size (I think 4 inches is the perfect screen size), but I'll take the keyboard any day. I don't always use it. If I'm on the go I generally swype in portrait mode with one hand. But if I'm writing longer messages or entering passwords, I want the physical keyboard.

The software differences are pretty negligible I think. We both use LauncherPro and some third party apps for media.

She might get better battery life than me, but it's hard to tell since I use mine more.

Also note that AT&T doesn't let you sideload apps. You can only install apps from the market without some mild hacking.

They're both great phones. I'd rather have my D2 though.

Upvote 0
I have a D2 and my best friend has a Captivate. I'm jealous of her screen quality and screen size (I think 4 inches is the perfect screen size), but I'll take the keyboard any day. I don't always use it. If I'm on the go I generally swype in portrait mode with one hand. But if I'm writing longer messages or entering passwords, I want the physical keyboard.

The software differences are pretty negligible I think. We both use LauncherPro and some third party apps for media.

She might get better battery life than me, but it's hard to tell since I use mine more.

Also note that AT&T doesn't let you sideload apps. You can only install apps from the market without some mild hacking.

They're both great phones. I'd rather have my D2 though.
they are both spectacular!!! just preferance!!!

Upvote 0
Maybe not. According to these test the D2 has better battery life, specially when browsing the web. Android Battery Test Reveals Droid X Lasts Longest, AMOLED Handsets Trail

That benchmark is interesting info. But it doesn't reflect how the phones are used in real world. Also Fascinate would be more meaningful comparison to D2 since it's also on the Verizon.

I am currently trying to decide between D2 and Fascinate. I like SF's screen but the call quality of D2 would be better. One thing I'm not sure yet is which would give me better battery life. I looked into the threads on battery of both phones for last few days. The trend is similar in both. Some users are having horrible battery life, not even able to make a full daytime usage while others can make D2, SF run two days easily. The folks with troubled battery life seem to be relatively minor though.

I know it depends greatly on how the phone is used with apps, settings. So I will try to minimize wireless data access for sync, updates in apps and also avoid high brightness, GPS, WiFi when not in use. It's hard to know which one will last longer under the same condition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones