1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Motorola Droid 3 - no sound when making calls (silent calls)Support

1. townends

townends New Member

I have a very annoying problem with my Motorola Droid 3 (Android 2.3.4, Build number 5.5.1_84_D3G-55, Kernel version 2.6.35.7-g790a33c)
    When making outgoing calls, I cannot hear any sound in the phone speaker.
    Even when connection is initiated (second party answers the call), we cannot hear each other.

I did some research and most people blame the headset jack for this problem.
    Apparently, installing a Headset Blocker app should fix the problem, but it only worked initially for me...
    After a while, the Headset Blocker stopped working & I could not make phone calls...

The alternative solution, which I found online was that, I had to clear the jack slot with some thin stick...
    This also worked but only temporarily...

At the moment, none of the above works and I'm frustrated as I cannot make phone calls...
    What's worse, the issue seem occur on outgoing calls only. E.g. when somebody calls me, then we can hear each other.
    At the same time, the issue seem to occur when dialling some numbers only. E.g. when I call some numbers, the problem does not exists, but it does occur
    when I call other numbers...
    It was tested on different networks & same pattern occurs.
    It also happened that I was able to call the same number one day & could not hear that person when trying to call that number the following day.

No consistency whatsoever...
    Factory Reset does not work - the same issue occurs.
    Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade my software via Motorola service, as the upgrade fails each time I attmept to install it... (it fails even when I perform
    a factory reset prior to upgrade...)

The above sympthoms suggest it is a software related problem, but I am not 100% sure, and also I'm not sure of what is the best way of dealing with it...
    At the moment, my phone can be used as computer with "texting' capabilities, but cannot perfom its basic function = making calls.

Any tips would be much appreciated.
    I was also wondering if it would be worth to wipe the existing ROM and download & install the latest Android system.

Advertisement
    :
  2. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

I think I would quickly contact Verizon support and tell them its broken and that you want it replaced under warrantee, before your year runs out (soon, probably). They might even be out of stock on D3's and have to upgrade you to a D4 or a GNexus if you are lucky.