Motorola Droid Battery Life?

Last Updated:

1. vinson

vinson Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not too familiar with the Android OS, and the Droid may be my first Android device. From what I've gathered so far, battery life seems to be an issue with Android devices. I've had 3 different BlackBerrys for a couple of years now and for the most part, battery life has been good or acceptable.

My question is, will the Droid suffer from battery life issues as do other Android devices, or will Motorola have a magic formula that increases it? I've read that BGR says battery life is supposed to be "very, very good." But I'm not sure I believe them. They have a way of exaggerating how good a device is, especially if no other reviewer has that device, to make it seem like they have something very special (probably to get more readers).

What are your thoughts on the Droid's battery life?

Advertisement
  2. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Battery life is one of my concerns too, espcially as CPU speeds increase. There is one thing that many of the more modern CPUs sport that could lead to bettery battery life and that's the ability to adjust the clockspeed according to load.

It could be that the Droid is one of the first Android handsets to use a CPU that supports dynamic underclocking, plus Android 2.0 may have introduced it's own optimisations to prolong battery life.

BGR said the battery life is "very good", and this gives me some cause for optimism.

3. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

It also depends on what you're doing - running wifi, streaming videos, playing games or anything that keeps the backlight on will use a battery quicker.

The battery is 1390 mAh, unless it changed after last month's initial shipment. You can compare that to the palm pre: 1150 mAh and iPhone 1400 mAh.

4. droidnut

droidnut Well-Known Member

All good stuff but what would be considered "ballpark" life? BBs (had 2) generally ran around 1day to 1day and a half w normal use...ballpark. :D

5. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

We won't know for sure until we get it so this is pure speculation, but I am expecting to recharge once per day for normal email and phone use, with a little web surfing. I expect to have to charge more often for watching videos or playing games for an extended amount of time.

My current phone has a 1340mAh battery running windows mobile, and I charge it nightly. On heavier use days, I have to charge it on the drive to/from work to keep it going all day. The droid's processor should be easier on the battery, the larger brighter screen will be harder on it, and the larger battery will make it last longer.

6. droidnut

droidnut Well-Known Member

Thanx for the info, Jacqueline.:) I figured that to be about right.

7. celios

celios Well-Known Member

I think this sounds about right. Phone technology seems to be outstripping battery technology these days.

Of course since the Droid has a replaceable battery (unlike another phone iCouldMention) you can keep a charged spare with you when you are travelling and not near a power point.

8. Integgroll

Integgroll Member

I would imagine that we will see some third-party batteries that might add some width, but give us some more battery life. Kind of like the battery packs I saw for the Motorola i530. Why that phone needed extra juice I will never know, but you could buy it.

9. lkgmadmax

lkgmadmax New Member

Seidio is now shipping a 2600mAh battery designed for the Droid for 64.95. Due to the power of the battery it has a larger footprint, they include a specially designed replacement door for the Droid along with the battery.

Seidio is also developing a replacement battery for the Droid using the original foot print but with an increased mAh rage than the stock battery, details not available on their site yet. I would guess around 1750mAh.

Check out the photos of the new extended 2600mAh at the following link: seidioonline.com

I used the Seidio extended battery on my old HTC PPC6800 for the past two years and was very pleased with the long life it provided.

10. CHaTRaSCaL

CHaTRaSCaL New Member

Hi First time on this forum!

What effect does WiFi have on the DROID battery? What is the WiFi for if the phone has internet? Can I disable the WiFi feature and still be able to web browse?

11. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

WiFi will *arguably* drain your battery life - however, connections on 3G are not nearly as fast as most connections via WiFi, so the argument is that you get a lot more done on WiFi than on 3G, in terms of surfing, watching videos, listening to music, etc.

However, if you are in an area where WiFi is not usable, go ahead and disable it so it won't keep searching for a WiFi access point - that will definitely eat up at least some of the battery.

12. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I have been a blackberry user for years......I now have the Motorola Droid and find that it lasts just as long as my Storm 1, Tour and Storm 2 did.

13. hitdog042

hitdog042 Well-Known Member

I have wifi and gps on all the time and I always get a day and a half or more out of my droid. Way better than any blackberry I've ever had. And I use it a lot.

I also own a Palm Pre Plus , and let me tell you I am lucky to get 7 hours out of it not using it hardly at all.

I also owned the Storm 2, and it got me through the day and night, but never as long as the Droid gets me.