Motorola Droid Call Quality Test

Last Updated:

1. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

I think the Droid sounded better but the Storm2 was louder. Thanks for the post.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

He always aas good videos.

4. jlawson

jlawson Active Member

Too bad he didn't ask her which one sounded better on her end. Ive had constant complaints from people on the other end of my Droid calls.

5. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

this is still an issue? i was going to get the droid today but someone told me this was fixed, but if its sttill a problem, i dont want the droid. the droid is a phone, i dont want to sound like im underwater talking.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

My wife is extremely picky about these things, and I assure you she would tell me if I didn't sound right. I just asked her again and she reassured me that the DROID sounds great as far as she is concerned. She also said that when I use handsfree mode (plug the DROID into my car's aux port) that calls from me are clear as a bell. For whatever that's wroth.

Perhaps not all DROIDs are created equally.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Haven't had any call quality problems here. It's not hi-def, better-than-CD quality, but I'm quite content.

8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Prior to the 2.01 update I would sometimes get the 'echo' complaint from callers on the other end. After the update no one has mentioned it at all, I've had zero complaints about any echo, static, breaking up...nothing. On my end everything is crystal clear as well. The fix really seems to have taken care of any call issues, for me at least.

9. jlawson

jlawson Active Member

Yes, it's still a problem. Last night I tracked the threads on this forum, the Motorola forum, Verizon and Google Code android forums. I'm on my 3rd Droid and I'm not alone -- echos, muffled quality, clipped conversations, etc. Verizon's been great; with my 2nd, I waited for the Dec 11 update and gave it a week, but the problems persisted so I went in to exchange it before heading off on my Christmas holiday. They extended my trade-in period by 15 days to try one more Droid because the saleswoman was convinced I'd managed to get two lemons. I'll grant you the problems are not as severe -- fewer dropped and muted calls, and fewer echo calls -- but when I'm speaking with someone and they're having troubles hearing me all I have to do is pick up anyone else's phone (big family) and call them back and they hear me fine. I'll be returning the phone. It's not location; other Verizon phones work fine. I love all of the other features but the phone part of the device is lousy, and I need a phone. Mind you, I have not forced the EVRC to EVRC-B change discussed on this and the Motorola forum, which appears to have worked for some. I read that was considered hacking, and I'd rather not be using my phone in an unsanctioned way. My advice -- at least wait a few more months. I'm probably going to switch to the Omnia II; clunkier and slower, but reviews on the call quality are good.

10. carlz28

carlz28 Well-Known Member

I have switched to the different options, trying all 3 available to me. EVRC-B seems to be a bit clearer on my end, but hasn't increased quality on the other end of a friends phone to a point where it's noticeably better. I tried several people, on both cell phones and landlines, multiple locations (with varying cell signals). Although 13k, EVRC and EVRC-B all seem to sound the same to the other end. Maybe EVRC-B isn't fully refined yet. Hopefully that get's fixed/completed in the next few months.
    Even after the update, I still get a few echoes occasionally. But it's nothing horrible and all the other end users don't seem to notice any echo in what they are hearing. I haven't really kept track of when the echo occurs, but I'm willing to bet it's usually when I only have one bar of signal. Though that could just be coincidental. Every other aspect of my phone works well..apps..messaging..email..etc. The echo isn't a real big deal, just annoying when it happens. Nothing weirder than having to stop talking when you hear the echo because it makes me think the other person is trying to talk, so I stop talking, then 2 seconds later realize it was me. By that time, I forget what I was saying in the first place. Haha. I guess my attention span may be shorter than I realized :p

11. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

2.01 and EVRC-B both didnt fix my problem. My wife always told me I sounded garbled and echoy. I finally switched to 13k and found it sounds a lot better to people I call.

On a side note, it seems the Droid is picky on how you hold it to your face. In EVRC (or EVRC-B), if I held it tight to my cheek, it sounded just OK. If I hold it a little away from my face, which is comfortable for me, it sounded a lot more garbled. Again, 13k fixed this.

12. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

what is EVRC-B and 13k exactly?

13. jlawson

jlawson Active Member

If most of my calls were personal calls, I wouldn't mind putting up with the occasional dropped calls, echos and frequent poor call quality for the sake of the Droid benefits, but it wreaks havoc with my business, so this device doesn't work for me.:(

14. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

Call quality on my Droid is fine. I use my phone for business and personal use, and haven't had any complaints so far, so I don't think it's an issue on ALL Doids. I'd say go for the purchase, and if you end up with one that has a call quality issue, get a replacement. Also, you do have 30 days to return the phone to Verizon if you're not happy with it.

15. jlawson

jlawson Active Member

True, and Verizon is great about exchanges. It's just a pain having to spend the time (and resources for those of us with secure systems that require IT to do it) to set up the phone each time. It just seems like your odds of getting a good one the first time would be better after a couple more months.

16. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

True, I understand the possible frustration. Well, I guess in this case I am lucky, I am "IT"..lol. :)

17. jw23

jw23 New Member

I'm having some major issues with my droid and call quality. I think I share the same sentiment of many users, in that I think the functionality of the phone is absolutely incredible, but the phone itself is really poor. I have static on every call I am on, it's sounds like the static trails off the voice of the person I am talking to. This is my 3rd droid in 30 days, now I'm past the 30 day trial period. I would really like to stay with Verizon and keep the droid, but every call is very hard to deal with. The reps at verizon have been friendly and helpful, but the overwhelming consensus is that these phones just are staticy. I've used other people's droids who say the static is not there, but upon turning the phone volume up the static is in fact there. This is unfortunate, and I'm probably going to either get the bluetooth headset (which is pretty weak to have to buy an additionally piece of hardware to get this very advanced phone to work properly), or I may just buy a different phone. Very frustrated. I would expect the phone to be the primary thing that should work well, and am more than a little floored that it is so problematic for this particular high end phone. If anybody knows of any definitive solutions to this problem I would love to hear about them, because I really like everything else about this phone.