Motorola Droid-how do you set it so that mobile web pages are not default?

Last Updated:

1. pittguy578

pittguy578 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got an Eris today. I am happy with the phone in general, but I did not realize how much I may want a keyboard with a smart phone. I may go back and get the Motorola version tomorrow.

My only concern is I do not know how to turn off getting the mobile versions of web pages as the default on the Motorola Droid. There is an option to turn off getting mobile versions of web pages as the default on the Eris, but I could not find it on the Motorola version. If I am getting a fast phone with a good browser, I want the full version of web pages-not scaled down mobile versions. Can I change that option on the Motorola?

Advertisement
  2. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

I don't have my Droid yet, but this is how it's done on my G1:
    - open the Web Browser
    - press the menu button.
    - go to More, Settings
    - go to Mobile Web Settings
    - select Desktop

Try that out and it should work. This will affect all websites you visit.

3. jraggio

jraggio Well-Known Member

I don't see "Mobile Web Settings" on the droid. I'd really like to use the full sized pages if possible. I hope this is possible.

4. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

you may have to scroll around the mobile sites to see a desktop version. i know cnn, espn, facebook, myspace, and google have this

5. jraggio

jraggio Well-Known Member

is there a way to make it use the desktop by default? The instructions above indicate that it was possible on older android OS versions.

Thanks,
    John

6. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

I'm running Cyanogenmod on my G1, so it's possible that this feature is part of a modded Android ROM, and not part of the official Android 1.6 browser. It's also possible that it's part of 1.6 but not 2.0

7. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

im gonna have to see about that when i get my phone, but if google didnt touch anything on 2.0 then it should still be there. i know on the G1 i had with donut it used desktop as default

8. wbbgjr

wbbgjr Active Member

I couldn't find that setting on my droid.

9. rjwgmu

rjwgmu New Member

I am looking for the same thing... any help would be appreciated!

10. OctoMom

OctoMom Well-Known Member

It's not a Droid setting AFAIK. The website checks to see the browser youa re using, if it sees a browser from a mobile device it will serve the mobile page. You'd have to change what the Droid reports itself as which is kind of a frowned upon since you'd be misrepresenting yourself.

11. fehhkk

fehhkk Member

Every time your Droid's browser wants to fetch a page (HTTP GET operation), the browser will send a string called UserAgent, which will contain something like "mota855". The website you're trying to access, can detect this user agent as being a mobile phone, and will automatically redirect you to the mobile version of the page.

There's nothing you can do from the mobile side to prevent this, but generally some mobile pages do have a link at the top, or bottom of the page, that says "full version" or something like that, which will redirect you to the full version of the site.

Hope that helps.

12. sch911

sch911 Well-Known Member

Sure there is.... Many mobile browsers have the ability to report that they are a "desktop" type of browser. It's just not a setting that's in the current Android 2.0 (Motorolla) browser...

13. rjwgmu

rjwgmu New Member

is there any indication that they may include that feature in the updates coming out in the first/second week of december?

14. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

AFAIK, there is no option to change this in the default browser, however, third party apps may offer this feature.

In fact, the Dolphin browser allows you to change your "User Agent" to Android, Desktop, or even iPhone.

So if this is a really important feature to you, you can give Dolphin a chance. The latest version even supports multitouch pinch and zoom.

15. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Active Member

You can't change this on the default browser. If you want to keep the default browser, what you can do is go to the full site of that specific page, and save that URL as a bookmark, and you can select it for later, it works on facebook because I've tried it.

However if you want it to do that automatically, you need a third party browser which sends your referrer information as a non mobile device.

16. pittguy578

pittguy578 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Really cannot believe this not an option. It is an option on the Eris.
    I really want to get this phone, but the main reason would be for web browsing/reading. I hope the update allows it to do this.

17. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

DROID does......not do this, apparently.

18. jdawg0024

jdawg0024 Well-Known Member

maybe a 2.0 lack of feature

19. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

If this is a feature you really need, just get Dolphin. It has the option. It's been discussed.

20. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

not really a big deal imo, either do what the people have said and get dolphin or go to the bottom of the page usually and it will say desktop version.

when i had the eris, i couldnt get the nytimes page to load 'desktop' even when the option was set to disable mobile web pages.

21. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I use dolphin. My user agent is set to desktop for dolphin. I normally use the regular browser, but if I am wanting to see a full desktop version of a site I just use dolphin. Works out great using the 2 browsers for 2 different types of sites.

22. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

Skyfire browser has the option(on WinMo devices) to be in "desktop" mode. It is actually a pretty nice browser...wonder if it exists for Android?

23. gManny

gManny New Member

I am not sure for the Eris but on the Droid you open the default browser and in the address field type "about:debug" without the quotes press the go button. You won't see anything happen. Now press the menu button on the phone, select the more, then settings, then scroll down to the bottom and select UAString and set it to desktop. That's it. Enjoy.

zep, Lock-N-Load, obutto and 4 others like this.
  24. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

You are awesoume. I don't get how what i put in the browser did anything but thanks soo much! :)

25. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

that is awesome...if only i could now choose whether to use Android or Desktop on a site-by-site basis.