• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Droid not connecting to Airport Extreme

Navywife

Lurker
Jun 13, 2010
Hi..I am new to this forum, and to the 'Droid' which is probably way too advanced for my brain to handle..I turn on the Wi Fi settings, it sees my network, I've added my Droid to the Airport Extreme, and I've changed settings to "robustness" as I read in other posts..Nothing seems to work. I am in Extended Network, and the only reason I agreed to get the phone is the salesperson said I could connect to my home computer router..I have searched the internet for hours, and tried different things, but I'm CLUELESS!! Please help..:thinking:

Just looked up the Airport Extreme and it seems to only send out 802.11 N. Droid can only handle b and g signals so I don't think it's gonna work. N is the latest of WiFi signals (if I'm saying that right) while B and G are a little more dated. If someone else knows a work around I'm interested, but I think you'll need a new router if you have to use WiFi :eek:

Edit: Okay it appears it is backwards compatible, so it should work:
"Some Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4GHz wireless band, including iPhone, iPod touch, and devices using 802.11b/g."
Good luck then!

Upvote 0
The extreme should be the same set up as the Airport Express. I am tapped into my Apple Airport Express's wifi signal on my Droid. So it should work. @Original poster, what happens when you scan for available networks to join? It should be able to locate yours then you put in your password and everything should be fine.

Upvote 0
I have 3 Airports and have been connecting the Droid since January (along with various laptops and a few iPhones, so it does work and work well). I would tell you to turn off network robustness and this can cause connection difficulty (I know, doesn’t make sense). Also make sure that your Airport is set to B/G not B/G/N, as this can also cause difficulty. I also use a wireless distribution network (to cover 3 floors of a home) as I think you do. If so make sure all the SSID’s are the same name.

It does work, but with all networks sometimes you need adjustment. One other thing: the Droid will sometimes disconnect autonomously from the network and I use Wi-Fi fixer (in the market, free) to compensate and help reconnecting without user intervention.

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm lost guys..I did have network robustness off, then I turned it on after reading some other posts..I have NO idea how to see what settings B/G etc. are at..The droid will see the network, and I have already put in the password, but when I try to connect, it fails..my nephews come over and use their Iphones/laptops with my router with no problems..I just need step by step walkthrough for my totally computer illiterate self, if anyone is willing to do that for me..I'd really appreciate it..The only reason we got the phones is because we were told we could connect to our home router..

Upvote 0
Well, I got it working, after days of reading forums and searching the internet..It was simple, and I'm pretty sure I had already done it, but it worked this time..When I went to Wi Fi setting, instead of letting the Droid find the network, I used "add new network" and entered my network name/password manually..I worked instantly..weird..I'm sure I had already done that, but not complaining..hope is stays working..:)

Upvote 0
Well, I got it working, after days of reading forums and searching the internet..It was simple, and I'm pretty sure I had already done it, but it worked this time..When I went to Wi Fi setting, instead of letting the Droid find the network, I used "add new network" and entered my network name/password manually..I worked instantly..weird..I'm sure I had already done that, but not complaining..hope is stays working..:)

Cool! Glad You got it working and enjoy your new phone!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my Nexus One. And your solution worked for me also! :D
But I have some extra information to share with you:
The problem seems to happen only on multiple Airports "roaming network" setups. Everything was working fine. All computers, mobile phones, network printers and other connected devices were connecting seamless and hassle free with my only one Airport Extreme. The problem started when I installed a Time Capsule (that is also an Airport access point). If you configure one Airport to extend wirelessly the other (not using an ethernet cable), the Android device connects perfectly. But, if you setup a roaming network (multiple Airports with the same wireless network name connected through a wired LAN), the Android device will not connect. It will find the network, but the connection always fail. In order to connect you will need to "add new network" manually as Navywife has figured out. :-!

Upvote 0
Wanted to post this up so that people who have my same situation will know the answer. I have a Moto Droid and an Apple Airport Express. All the devices in the house connect to the Airport Express fine except the Droid. The Droid will connect but then constantly drop and reconnect. Can't download anything, watch Youtube videos, surf the net etc. Total pain. The Droid can however connect to other WiFi networks fine, including another B/G network we have in the house. The Airport Express is N (B/G compatible). So I started thinking that the N might be the problem, however, when I went into manual settings for the Airport Express there are only options to configure N (i.e. N only, N+B/G, etc.) Nothing to turn off N. Then I found out that if you hold down the Ctrl button while clicking on the Radio Options dropdown menu in the Airport Utility it gives you 4 extra options including B/G only without N. I switched it to '802.1 b/g compatible' and now my Droid is connecting really well, no dropouts.

Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones