• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid X VS HTC Droid Incredible: Camera Test

I'm confused, this test is horrible. The only way to truly test is 2 exact pictures, not pictures of an object from different distances. (you can tap to focus on objects you know?)

If my Dinc pics looked like the ones you took, I would take it back. Mine look insanely better than your examples. The only thing that I agree is the flash is rather odd on the dinc.

It's not horrible theres really no reason to say something like that. I did my best so that the pictures would actually work. The DINC would not focus properly, I did not want to change settings. I could have changed settings and made them look PERFECT. I was simply testing the camera stock, with flash on and off. I did my best for what I can do.

The pictures I'm sure look GREAT on your phone, but once uploaded to a CPU they look very different.

The DINC takes good pictures from further away. I use it on a daily basis. That being said I still so far believe the X has a superior camera from what I've seen. IMO. I just take a TON of pictures constantly of everything, videos too... and I know a good camera when I see it from being involve with professional cameras for a long time.

That being said, to each his own. :) If you like yours, great, but please no bashing.

PS: I did this to be helpful, and I took over 100 pictures probably. The INC failed miserably when it came to how long it would take to focus and get a good picture. Then what I thought was a good picture came up completely differently on the CPU due to the DINCS screen.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack this thread more(sorry clittzen) but
I still have my Omnia too. Mint condition, I might add :D
Mine too, only phone i NEVER dropped, not once(Inc took a dive on concrete hangar floor today:eek:), sister called me 2 days ago talking, 'you gonna give me your old phone' i told her she would hate it, slammed it hard all the while thinking i just couldn't part with it.:D

Same I use it as GPS in car and Boat :) as the programs I have on it don't need data connection :)

Love the camera on it too, if we could only get some one that panorama and burst and stabilization on out Dincs :)
Haven't realized we didn't have this with Inc. That sucks.... Got a non-phone rom on omnia now(a rob storm special) but never use it for real. Would love if Inc had presets for night, sunset, etc.
Anyway, gotta crash. Thanks for the effort Clittzen, it is appreciated!! Would like to see a round 2 of testing though.

Upvote 0
Its a very common issue that the DINC has focus issues, which can also cause the camera to freeze and lock up if you take a picture while its trying to focus. I will say that it appears the leaked update takes care of that.

I hope they do! All the DINC owners deserve it. Everyones been patient with everything.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack this thread more(sorry clittzen) but

Mine too, only phone i NEVER dropped, not once(Inc took a dive on concrete hangar floor today:eek:), sister called me 2 days ago talking, 'you gonna give me your old phone' i told her she would hate it, slammed it hard all the while thinking i just couldn't part with it.:D

Haven't realized we didn't have this with Inc. That sucks.... Got a non-phone rom on omnia now(a rob storm special) but never use it for real. Would love if Inc had presets for night, sunset, etc.
Anyway, gotta crash. Thanks for the effort Clittzen, it is appreciated!! Would like to see a round 2 of testing though.

Any suggestions please and I will do more! Just let me know. :) I will even post videos if wanted.

Upvote 0
Any suggestions please and I will do more! Just let me know. :) I will even post videos if wanted.

Crashing out but real quick, i was thinking something simple, controlled. Inside, something in your hand... piece of fruit maybe, persons face perhaps, doesn't really matter, biggest thing is you take them from same angle, lighting... that kinda thing. All i got for now, just my .02. either way thanks for the contribution, your the greatest. Peace out everyone

edit, would be cool to compare video, but not essential

Upvote 0
Crashing out but real quick, i was thinking something simple, controlled. Inside, something in your hand... piece of fruit maybe, persons face perhaps, doesn't really matter, biggest thing is you take them from same angle, lighting... that kinda thing. All i got for now, just my .02. either way thanks for the contribution, your the greatest. Peace out everyone

edit, would be cool to compare video, but not essential

I definitely AM going to do a compare video I promise that... give me a few days. I am trying to get a list of things to compare so it's just not a 2 second video lol.

I will do another series of photos tomorrow as well, more controlled indoor environment. Fruit or a tattoo maybe... something controlled! Thanks for the input! :)

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to bash you, I just think there was something off about how you took the pictures, they don't look right. I'm not trying to personally attack you.

Here are 2 full size pictures I took with my INC, one was a month or 2 ago outside, and the other I took several minutes ago, factory settings and no editing.

http://a.yfrog.com/img830/5560/imag0040.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/936/imag0160.jpg

I'm just voicing my side, never used a droid x but seems like it takes great pics. I'm not saying the inc is better than the x, just saying my pics on the inc are better than the ones you took, all factory settings. Again, I'm not trying to hate and I appreciate you trying to help.

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to bash you, I just think there was something off about how you took the pictures, they don't look right. I'm not trying to personally attack you.

Here are 2 full size pictures I took with my INC, one was a month or 2 ago outside, and the other I took several minutes ago, factory settings and no editing.

http://a.yfrog.com/img830/5560/imag0040.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/936/imag0160.jpg

I'm just voicing my side, never used a droid x but seems like it takes great pics. I'm not saying the inc is better than the x, just saying my pics on the inc are better than the ones you took, all factory settings. Again, I'm not trying to hate and I appreciate you trying to help.

I know the DINC can take amazing pictures, I have seen it myself. But it doesn't do it constantly. I completely understand where you're coming from.

Do you have any suggestions for more compare pictures tomorrow? I would appreciate your input. :)

Upvote 0
I know the DINC can take amazing pictures, I have seen it myself. But it doesn't do it constantly. I completely understand where you're coming from.

Do you have any suggestions for more compare pictures tomorrow? I would appreciate your input. :)

I understand about consistency, but the truth is alot of it is dependent on the user. Problem with most camera phones is they are light and thin, which makes shaking and blurry photos much more frequent. That said, no matter which phone you get, the more stable you are when the picture is taken, the better it will be. If I'm taking a picture, I give it time to focus and stay as still as possible. The majority of the photos come out looking great, but of course not all.

Put this phone in the hands of a someone who can't sit still and everything will be blurry.

Suggestion would be to make sure the camera is focused on what you want the picture of.

You can clearly see what I'm talking about in the 2nd picture you posted, the "INC FLASH." The focus is not on the flowers, its on the stems and leaves, while the picture above it "X FLASH" is actually focused on the flower. In the inc pic, the flower is not the center, which it is in the x picture, which in turn focuses on the wrong part of the picture... I know its confusing but it makes a big difference, which is why I said your test was not appropriate for comparison. Hope that clears up some stuff.

Upvote 0
I understand about consistency, but the truth is alot of it is dependent on the user. Problem with most camera phones is they are light and thin, which makes shaking and blurry photos much more frequent. That said, no matter which phone you get, the more stable you are when the picture is taken, the better it will be. If I'm taking a picture, I give it time to focus and stay as still as possible. The majority of the photos come out looking great, but of course not all.

Put this phone in the hands of a someone who can't sit still and everything will be blurry.

Suggestion would be to make sure the camera is focused on what you want the picture of.

You can clearly see what I'm talking about in the 2nd picture you posted, the "INC FLASH." The focus is not on the flowers, its on the stems and leaves, while the picture above it "X FLASH" is actually focused on the flower. In the inc pic, the flower is not the center, which it is in the x picture, which in turn focuses on the wrong part of the picture... I know its confusing but it makes a big difference, which is why I said your test was not appropriate for comparison. Hope that clears up some stuff.

I understand. But Inc would not cooperate with focus I would be standing there ten minutes at a time to even get slight focus. I tried and tried again, believe me. Its not me.

Upvote 0
I believe you. There are threads all over the net about this issue as well as camera freezes due to focus issues.

Are you willing to install the ota leak and test it?

My problem is phone is not on service anymore, it is just a toy now. Can OTA be installed without service somehow?... Sorry if that sounds silly.

Upvote 0
Yes it can. If you are unrooted, its just a matter of copying it to your sdcard, renaming it as update.zip (not update.zip.zip) and following the guide at the top of this forum.

I have no SD card in currently, I do have 2 extra ones sitting in my drawer blank. 2GB and 16GB, I would prefer to use the 2GB if I have too use one of them for the OTA. I can do that tomorrow though definitely. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones