Motorola Dumps Google Maps For Skyhook

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Besides the fact that this press release is dated for April 27th, 2010, we’re appalled by the information that it brings us: Motorola will preload Skyhook’s location services on its Android-based devices in place of Google Maps and Navigation Beta. In an unexpected “it’s not you, it’s me” type of event, Motorola’s vice president of [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I'm all for options and choice, but this isn't a great one. Motorola pulled Google Search and went with Yahoo. And now Google Navigation/Map for Skyhook? I'd rather they offer both and allow the end user to try them out and see what they are happy with... and remove the others to free up space! Don't decide for me, let me decide.

3. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

I think they have to put one by default so it's convenient for people who bought the phone new. It's like preinstalling IE on windows machines, I just hope it still allows uinstalling it and reinstalling with Google Maps if one wants. Froyo (2.2) & beyond seem to be disconnecting these Google apps from the core Android OS anyway.

4. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

so basically the droid is completely different from moto's direction now? I feel like they have given up on the droid already and marching along in a different direction. Anyone else feel like this?

5. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

I feel this way as well. Guess my next android device wont be motorola, because I dont know how google will react to this.(for the record i didnt read the article.) I just want timely updates, and if this pisses google off that could mean delays.