Motorola fails to amaze me

Last Updated:

1. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I got an upgrade notice to the Droid I was not excited. I've had nothing but bad luck with motorola in the past and I didn't want anything to do with it. I eventually played with the droid and android won me over.
    Today I finally dropped the droid for the first time and guess what....the whole case is creaky. I'm pretty sure this is my last motorola. One drop shouldn't result in this much damage. Thank goodness for insurance.

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I superglued my droid to my hand. It's just easier that way.

3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the drop...I dropped mine on concrete from about four 1/2 feet, landed face down, and came out w/out any issues aside from some very minor marks on the raised metal around the screen. So it can take a fall and come through...

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I have been very careful with mine, but still managed to drop it the other day. It dropped from my jacket pocket, so about 3-4 feet. Still rock solid. Maybe you just hit some weak point that isn't very common. Note I don't have a case or a screen protector yet (got my Droid early December...

5. alostpacket

Although I haven't been able to wash that hand in quite some time now.

Question -- how normal is it for birds to be nesting on your hand? Will this hurt my Droid?

6. neumannator

neumannator Well-Known Member

sucks iv never had one problem.

7. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

And the point of this post is? Don't Drop your Phone.......Come On Man!!!!!

8. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It can happen to any phone. I don't think it's fair to criticize the build quality based on one phone and one drop. I've dropped mine multiple times; I'm clumsy. It still looks brand new, and the glass is still pristine. After having my old phone for a month, the screen was scratched to pieces and it looked 5 years old just from a few mishaps and keeping it in my pocket.

9. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure of any phone you can drop and not have some sort of issue. Thats why most of us have insurance. I dropped my storm and the only issue was the screen wouldn't press in. of course that phone is worthless without a screen that presses in.

10. Crude

All samsung and nokia phones I've owned did just fine after many drops. Most resently my Omina. I did have a i760 that got out of my pock while putting shingles on a roof....that survived just fine. Dings and scratches are one thing, parts coming loose are another thing.

11. alostpacket

OK, what if the bird is laying eggs?

12. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

A bird in the hand....

Better yet, a Droid in the hand....

13. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

the slider has definitely loosened up on mine over the past 2 months. When the slider is locked open it's rock solid, but closed the screen definitely seems a bit looser (and by a bit, I mean noticeably) than when I got the phone. it's nothing that really bugs me, b/c it's not bad really but still...I think that's more of an issue with sliders in general though.

14. YankeeDudeL

I've had two Motorolas before and I couldn't stand them. Have no idea what the names were, but they were pretty much crap. They reminded me of particle board furniture. Sure they'll serve their intended purpose, but they'll fall apart before the year's out.

But from the first time the Droid was laid in my hands, I knew this was not the same Motorola. As a matter of fact, this isn't even the same Verizon. I guess it's Google that's made them both step up their game, but it's happened, and I like where this is going.

15. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

There are lots of people with Droids with the same results - no problems after a drop. And you really haven't described the circumstances at all. Was it a fall on concrete? At what height did it fall from? Simply saying a phone should be able to take a fall means squat. Most touchscreens that fall on concrete from waist height don't normally get away unscaved. And the angle they fall at also determines how well they hold together.

16. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I had the i760 before the Droid. That thing was a tank. Dropped it several times and not even a scratch. Had it thrown across a room onto a tile floor. No problems.

My Droid has had a couple nasty falls already. 1st time it vibrated off a nightstand and fell about 3 ft onto hardwoods - no issues. 2nd time I fell asleep w/ it in bed - moved around at some point and inadvertently flung it against the wall, then it bounced off the steel bed frame, then slammed onto the hardwoods. Amazingly, not a scratch. So, the Droid is pretty tough really. You had some bad luck, I guess.

17. anderson.mcdaniel

anderson.mcdaniel Active Member

I had an iPhone once, and I threw it in the woods and then burned it a bit. It worked just as good as before. Gave it to my sisters kids for Christmas. Hopefully I wont drop my Droid.

18. Crude

Picked it up off a bookcase with 3 fingers, this cause the slider to open and I lost my grip the top right corner of the screen part of the slider has the worst ding so I'm guessing that's what impacted with a tile floor. It's probably a freak thing....

19. sonnysideup

sonnysideup Active Member

I was bringing many things into my house the other day and the phone was sitting on top of it all. I then went to open the door and tilted too much and the phone fell onto concrete. I am 6' tall and it fell from basically chin height. As it fell, it hit the bottom step too.. I thought the thing was screwed but all I have noticed was a minor nick on the the bottom right of the casing.... SOOO LUCKY.. I need a full case for this thing that doesnt have a belt clip

20. zeroG

zeroG Active Member

This thread is ******ed

21. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

My Droid has had a half dozen falls so far. A couple times to concrete. I have the Motorola armor on it. Still working fine. Slide is still tight.

22. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. If that's true, that's fauking funny. Burnt it, but just a bit. Ha

23. dlongb13

dlongb13 Member

dropped mine on tile then stepped on it with full weight in stride (180 pounds), barely scratched the metal around the screen. your a baboon quit finding stupid reason to complain. if you wanna complain then complain about the fact that the only thing you have to talk about is your inadequate phone...sorry for being hasty but i hate stupid posts like this

24. YankeeDudeL

I bet Tiny Tim was elated.

25. cb2000a

cb2000a Active Member

Wow did you hate it that much?