• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Media Link for Android

I don't like having to use the playlists. I want to sync by artist. Only option is to sync playlist. Find that kind of annoying. I suppose I could create a motodroid playlist and throw everything I want in there and do it but if they can add playlist syncing why not sync by artist and drag and drop.
I choose to just mount the phone and drag and drop. One less of a piece of software to open up and I can drag all the artists or albums I want in. I use Google listen to sync podcasts automatically so podcasts are a non-issue.

Upvote 0
I have only used it for one thing... transfering my itunes playlists over to the droid. It is the only software that worked for me. I do some DJ work for all kinds of different venues so I have a lot of playlists that took me a very long time to create. There was no way that I was going to transfer one song at a time on to the droid then have to go into the phone to recreate each playlist, so this software was a blessing for me. I just drag and dropped the playlists that I wanted and they all show up on my droid. PERFECT! Everyone is different though, so if your the kind of person who wants to drag and drop each song, then there really isn't a need for this.

Upvote 0
I was going to give MMC a look, but it doesn't support the Mac. I guess they figure all Mac users must also be iPhone fanboys. Oh well.

I used DoubleTwist for a bit, and thought it was OK (I'm surprised Apple doesn't sue -- the interface looks almost identical), but in the end it was easier to just move files back and forth manually.

Truth be told, I find I don't put a lot of music on my Droid since Slacker, Pandora, and Shoutcast give me more than enough enjoyable listening options. I have put a few movies on the phone, but I don't switch them out often. Anything else one might think to sync, I either sync with a cloud app (email, contacts, pictures) or email to my handset and download (wallpapers).

Upvote 0
Yikes!!! You might want to try R-Tools or something similar to try and get your data back. Regardless, that is unacceptable.
So..I was so excited to be able to move music and photos to my Droid. Installed MML...made the mistake of choosing to sync pix from My Pictures...then, because I obviously didn't want to move 20 years of pix to my phone, I went through and selected which to delete...thinking that it would merely remove them from those files I wanted to sync. NOT SO!!! It deleted them from my hard drive!!!! And they weren't in the recycle bin..and system restore didn't put them back! Now I'm pretty much out of luck unless my online backup service can't restore them.
The "help" for this application is terrible...just a warning to all who want to use it...

Upvote 0
*sigh* i really wanted to like this software

Installation was a fail the first few tries. Finally got it installed (vista ultimate x64) but attempting to sync caused constant program crashes.

After rebooting the PC and proceeding with the registration (which i originally ignored) I finally was able to get to about 40% of my 5gb of photos I tried to sync and then it crashed.

Unmount, kill MML.exe, motoconnect.exe and motoconnectservice.exe and try again.

This time i tried something easier. I created a folder and dropped a few photos in it. I then went to MML > Settings > General > Directories and changed the photo path to the new folder.

I then went to Sync, in the photo section I set:

"Transfer new photos from handset to PC" To Checked
"Delete photos from handset after sync" TO UNCHECKED.

I then checked the "all photos" album which now points to the folder i created above.

It finally synced successfully, but to my dismay I noticed a little something wrong with the results window. It DELETED over 1100 images off of the SD card.

I had a backup but if I didn't all hope isn't lost: Every single image on the device went to "userfolder\pictures\deviceroot\" in the same directory structure they were originally in.

This software is basically an ultimate fail whale. Instead of making it look pretty and have a fancy registration system why doesn't motorola simply stick to the basics?

Backup and sync the data , DONT delete it without consent. Ever! :mad:

Upvote 0
i actually paid 29 for the upgrade version like a pooh pooh head. it is not intuituve software thats for sure! but to my surprise it did what i needed it to do which is a trim a video shot with the droid and convert mpg files to mp4 files flawless and quickly so its not a total waste. i wouldnt use it to sync pics and photos just convert vids.

Upvote 0
I tried the software for the first time last night. It seemed to work pretty well, although it took about an hour. I told it which playlists I wanted and viola! I have it all set up.

Only problem is the damn thing duplicated a lot of my songs. I have duplicate songs in some playlists but it doesn't duplicate the song in my library with my iTouch. Does anyone know if this is correctable? I really don't like pulling up the "songs" tab and seeing Switchfoot's "Mess of Me" three times. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This is pretty awful software. It freezes during syncing like 90% of the time, after which you have to remove and replace the battery from your phone to get access to the SD card back. I got about 75% of the songs I wanted on my phone but can't manage to get the rest without MML freezing. Oh well.

Complete opposite experience for me with this software. It works like a charm. SUPER easy and fast. Used with Windows XP.

Upvote 0
The software is actually by Nero, and it worked fine for me on Windows Vista (business) 32bit. Synched my iTunes playlists including purchased songs and album art. It is true that it is not very intuitive, it took me a little while to figure out how to set up the sync. Quick hint. Don't create/link playlists in the default area that pops up to the left, that is your PC. You need to expand the area at the bottom left and create/link the playlists on the Droid. If you did what I did and created them on the PC first then wondered why nothing was synching, then created them on the Droid tab, it will create duplicate songs as it synchs your iTunes playlist and your local playlists.

Upvote 0
I wasn't very impressed with this software but keep it around in case it gets better. I just fired it up today and noticed that there was an update to 1.00.25. I installed it thinking it might get better in some way but it still looks the same. BTW, this installed flawlessly on my Vista x64 machine.

My favorite sync tool for music is a toss up between doubleTwist and Songbird. DoubleTwist goes the extra mile with video conversion and photo sync and every update of it makes it better and better. I'm torn between Songbird which is a killer player for the PC and doubleTwist which offers the "complete" experience similar to what iTunes does.

I still say the ultimate would be a PC/Droid application package that works together. Full featured PC app to sync and a killer media player to compliment it on the Android OS. I'd pay $30 - $50 for this and can't believe devs haven't picked up on this NEED!

Upvote 0
I had a palm treo. You could sync your calendar and memos as well as your to do list. And there were lots of other apps that synced with your desktop such as handyshopper which is the absolute best grocery shopping app ever made. Much easier than trying to key large amounts of information straight onto the phone's keyboard.
Surely there was something similar for blackberry? I am always being told how great blackberries are!

Upvote 0
I was disappointed with the software and uninstalled it. It only syncs your music, videos, and pictures. Nothing else. Guess I was spoilt with my last phone where I could sync all my databases as well.

It is called "Media Link". Is a database a form of media? New to me. By syncing music, video and picture...I think they have all forms of media covered for me.

Upvote 0
I had a palm treo. You could sync your calendar and memos as well as your to do list. And there were lots of other apps that synced with your desktop such as handyshopper which is the absolute best grocery shopping app ever made. Much easier than trying to key large amounts of information straight onto the phone's keyboard.
Surely there was something similar for blackberry? I am always being told how great blackberries are!

Syncing that stuff with your desktop was so 1990's! The whole idea of smart phones today is that you use them for those types of tasks *instead* of your desktop. And then you sync them either with something in the cloud or simply backup what you have on them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones