motorola milestone on macbook proSupport

Last Updated:

1. ovigt71

ovigt71 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought motorola milestone and I was trying to connect to my macbook pro, but I can't. any ideas please ?

Advertisement
  2. beezer123

beezer123 Member

Connect it how?

Via Bluetooth or USB Cable?

3. ovigt71

via USB cable. problem solved; uninstalled Task Killer, than rebooted the phone. voila!

4. boolean22

boolean22 Member

I can't seem to send files from the Milestone to a Mac Pro via Bluetooth... standard procedure fails when trying to establish connection, both devices are paired.

5. ovigt71

6. boolean22

boolean22 Member

Thanks, mate, but already tried all that... :-( I had no trouble with my Motorola Karma so it's not a Mac Bluetooth issue. Gonna research a little extra.

I'll keep posted.

7. maxytoby

maxytoby New Member

Hi, so anyone got a clue? I can transfer files from my milestone to my Mac via Phone portal, but that is only one way traffic, not from the Mac to my phone. Anyone can help? TIA

8. devil426

devil426 Member

I think the Bluetooth file transfer has file format limitation, normally I am just connect via USB, interesting thing is sometime my MBP can recognize the TF card, sometime can not. still don't know why that happen.
    I has successful transfer mp3 file from my MacBook Pro to Milestone, but cann't transfer RAR files.

9. jonmorris

jonmorris Well-Known Member

I can't get any Android phones to work properly with a Mac over Bluetooth. Sending a file from the phone will always fail, even though you can successfully pair them.

The SE X10i has Bluetooth drivers loaded on 1.6 and they don't work either.

I would like to know if this is an Android or Apple issue, but my guess is the former as Apple seems to have Bluetooth support pretty much sewn up. Never had any real problems over the years, compared to using Windows with third party drivers of mixed quality.

10. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Have you tried installing some Bluetooth FTP app on your Android?

11. maxytoby

maxytoby New Member

Recently wrote to Motorola and this was what I get:

We refer to your e-mail dated 26th of April 2010.

Please be advised that the Motorola Milestone is not compatible with Mac OS. Currently, there are no drivers available for the phone to connect with Mac OS based computer.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we assure you that we have taken measures to prevent such occurrences in future.

Yours sincerely,
    Neil
    Motorola Customer Service

12. fatflatfly

fatflatfly Active Member

If you have wifi available try using websharing file/Media sync there is free lite version on market place. I have to use this with my G5 power pc as i hate using usb as it adds all them hidden files to your memory card for spotlight

13. jonmorris

Clearly that person didn't realise we were talking about Bluetooth. You already have clearly defined profiles and the phone happily pairs (even autopairing works). This isn't about using a USB cable, as I am sure Neil from Motorola thought.

14. beezer123

beezer123 Member

Sorry for the bump, but I'm managing to get mine to contact with my Macbook perfectly. Took a bit of playing with but it works fine now.

Firstly I paired the phone and the Macbook using bluetooth as normal.

Then

I downloaded "Bluetooth FTP Transfer" from the market and when it asks to confirm bluetooth on you choose ok.

It will then turn on and another window will pop up saying an application is requesting permission to turn bluetooth on you choose no.

You should then be able to browse the phone using the Macbook or send files to and from either device.

15. jonmorris

Thanks for that. I'll go and check it out and see if us Mac users can finally send/receive files.

I hope Google fixes this in 2.2!

16. Szadzik

There is nothing to fix as nothing is broken. You just need a Bluetooth file transfer app that is available from the Market, probably a few of them.

17. jonmorris

It IS broken. The phone is supposed to support Bluetooth file transfer, and apps already have the option to send files. So, why would you NEED to get a third-party app? The X10 doesn't work, and a colleague says the Desire doesn't either.

The fact there's a third party app kind of supports my view!

18. maxytoby

maxytoby New Member

yes after downloaded the "Bluetooth File Transfer", the curse is broken, it just work by simply drag files in and out without sweat!!! tks guys

19. Szadzik

This phone is called a SMARTPHONE. It called this way for a reason. This reason is that if there is a functionality not present in the firmware you can get it by installing 3rd party software.

Should I start complaining now that Android does not have a money managing app built in, or maybe some other application? No, because a smartphone means you can install it and have that functionality.

Building a smartphone is not about packing every single feature you can but about allowing the user to install what he or she needs.

20. jonmorris

Does everyone on here work for the developer of this app?? I'm amazed how it's being talked about as the saviour of Android.

I also think I understand what a smartphone is, although I'd like to see someone clearly define it one day; is it something that can run apps (so can a Java featurephone), something with a QWERTY keyboard, something that multitasks (iPhone doesn't/didn't)..? I'll save that discussion for another day though!

Android 2.1 (and SE's X10 with Bluetooth added on) has Bluetooth file transfer support. You can send files from apps already. However, it will fail when you send to a Mac. It appears to have been traced to a problem with the phone, not the Mac.

Do you not think that this is a bug somewhere along the line? I am not saying there's a problem with the app - especially if it adds Bluetooth support to older Android devices that don't have native support - but you are really missing the point!

What next? Being told that I shouldn't expect the built-in camera tool to take a photo, or the gallery to let me see pictures - but, hey, there's an app for that.

If this app makes it easier, faster or nicer to use then great - but I want Google to make Bluetooth work as designed natively too. Otherwise they should have left the feature out.

21. Szadzik

There are multiple apps for bluetooth file transfer. Try another if the one you chose does not work.

22. jonmorris

I give up!!

23. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at the fact that BT file transfer works for millions of different PC setups but not on a single MAC. It really must be the phone's fault.

/sarcasm off

24. jonmorris

Do you know for a fact that it works with millions of PC setups? I've had no end of trouble getting Bluetooth to work with quite a few different setups.

Ordinarily, Mac's are very good with Bluetooth. Windows 7 is excellent too as support is native to the OS, but before that it was a nightmare. I therefore question the 'millions of PC setups' statement. Note, I'm talking about Mac computers - not the iPhone or anything, which is deliberately crippled for Apple's desire for locking everything down.

My original assumption was that it was the fault of the Mac, but people have suggested it's a problem with the OS drivers in Android - hence why third party apps work. If it was the Mac, you'd expect everything to fail.

Either way, it needs to be fixed even if it means telling Apple that it has done something wrong. I see Google as a lot more open than Apple, and I'm sure they'd love to score some more points against them. Apple has been getting hit left, right and centre over the last few weeks - and 2.2, Android TV and the new video codec for YouTube are all adding to their woes!

25. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Why it works with third party?
    Because most third party apps use adhoc WiFi or some sort of other way to bypass BT to transfer files.

I haven't had problems with BT since the XP days.

Millions of PC setups:
    Lets just say I haven't found many posts regarding PC<->Android BT transfer problems. If there was a problem it was due to user fault.

MACs are just pretty to look at and nothing more. Sure you get good software if you work with photos, music or video but when it comes to customization and adaptation MACs just suck.