Motorola Photon 4G pricing spotted!General

1. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. lakeshoredr

lakeshoredr Member

So does that mean this phone will be around $300 with a 2 year contract?
  3. Jceinc

Jceinc Well-Known Member

I'm guessing $199. The more I read about this phone the more I like
  4. drexappeal

Prices have been talked about being anywhere from $199-$299 (w/ contract extension). TS had speculated based on other World phones available and he mentioned something in the range of $299.

Based on this price listing, I'm assuming that this website's listing is "more expensive" than Sprint's out of contract price will be.

My best guess is $249. What hadn't been established is if the phone is going to come with a microSD card or without (since it's going to have 16gb of internal storage). If it doesn't come with a microSD card, my guess is $199. If it does come with a 8gb card, I stick with $249. If it comes with a 16gb card, I bump my guess to $299.

Realistically, I'm assuming that a microSD won't be included (since there's 16gb internal storage built in), but we'll have to wait and see when the final release date is announced.
  5. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

Moto has already said they won't include an SD card 'cause 16GB in their words is "big enough".

Yeah, I too think $250 is the likely price point.
  6. drexappeal

Oh, okay. I guess I didn't pay attention too much, just because I already have a 32gb card.

If that's the case, I'm thinking it'll either be $199 or $249. $249 simply because it's a world phone, but other than that, $199 seems like it would still be a possibility, despite the world phone functionality.
  7. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member

The wild card is all the stiff competition. I still think they will go for $199 to make a run for volume sales. At $249, they are in EPIC territory and that did not go over well, despite the amoled screen (yes, it was cool back then). I think that if they are really smart and want a tidle wave of sales, they should go for $199 :rolleyes:
  8. drexappeal

Definitely agree with the 199. Just don't know if Sprint will be smart enough to think the same.
  9. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

I could see them doing 249 to 299 ONLY because it's a world phone. It justifies the price to most business types.
  10. drexappeal

I could see those prices also, just like TS and I had been discussing. Nontheless, now that it's EVO3D release week, I can't wait until that's done to see if they announce official pricing and release for the Photon at the beginning of July.

If not, I'll be patiently waiting with my EVO 4G still working great.
  11. viber

viber Well-Known Member

I'm going to wager this will be one of the more expensive Sprint phones.
  12. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

It could go either way. Motorola knows that their Xoom isn't selling as great as they wanted and that was due mainly to its high price tag. And that was a hot item at the time. If they learn from their mistakes and price the Photon well, they will make a killing and win over many doubters.
    personally I would like Sprint to sell it at $199.99, but if it goes up to $249.99 it still isn't bad, anything over that is pushing it, even if it is a world phone and unlocked etc etc.

TS
  13. skep

skep Well-Known Member

Sprint is aiming towards $199
    twospirits and drexappeal like this.
  14. viber

viber Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping it is under $599.

I might be buying it outright for a daily driver and keeping the Nexus S for experimentation and ICS
  15. drexappeal

The link I posted has it under $599, if you want to pre-order already : )
  16. drexappeal

Is that a formal statement that was made by Sprint and/or Motorola, or just speculation based on the blogs/articles that have been written?
  17. viber

viber Well-Known Member

Certainly speculation, because Sprint isn't going to say a word about the Photon for a little bit. They are basking in the glow of the Evo3D for now.
  18. drexappeal

Which after seeing it in person, I have to say, kinda overhyped. After messing with the camera and sense 3.0, I'd never use the 3d and sense 3.0 looked way better on video than in person.

Can't wait until 3d hype does down and they start talking photon.
  19. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member

.... and/or the Within... :D
  20. drexappeal

I'm still skeptical about samsung's mobile phone support, otherwise it'd be first choice.
  21. viber

viber Well-Known Member

The hype over the Evo didn't go down until the Evo3D so it could be awhile ;)

And I don't think the it's hype at all. The Evo3D is probably the best pound for pound dual core 4G phone on the market right now, which is the same position the Evo4G phone held last year.

Hype is the SGS2, just like the SGS1 last year.

And I think Sprint and Motorola will push the Photon hard once we get closer to launch day, but not to the same extent as the Evo3D.
  22. drexappeal

I wasn't that impressed with it in person. I can definitely see how many reviews weren't that great regarding the 3d.

I think the marketing push will clearly be for a different demographic. They'll try to push both phones, but just enough to make sure sales stay on the level with projections.
  23. skep

skep Well-Known Member

this is from someone on the inside, nothing is formal until it is released to the public. this is why i said they are targeting
    drexappeal likes this.
  24. drexappeal

Thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to be sure, since your comment was like a statement more than speculation.

If you hear anything else, including release date, feel free to share also!
  25. Ronnie

Ronnie Active Member

i sure do hope we are not gearing ourselves up for this GREAT device only to be let down by a touchscreen that works like crap. Like that smoking hot chick that takes her shirt off only to have inverted nipples . just saying......