Motorola Photon for SprintGeneral

1. DroidBabe

DroidBabe Well-Known Member

Woooooow!! This device looks amazing!

www.sprint.com/photon

I think I want it. I would jump from AT&T to Sprint in a heartbeat. I wish it was on sale today!

Advertisement
    jroc and momoceio like this.
  2. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Moved to the Android lounge, does look like a nice phone :)
  3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Just saw this. Time to read up on it some more...
  4. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

I want to know:
    A.) Does it run Motoblur?
    B.) Is it a PenTile LCD?
    C.) Is it unlocked?
  5. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Sprint is not playing..looks nice.
  6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Great phone. I'd buy one if it had an unlocked bootloader.
  7. DroidBabe

DroidBabe Well-Known Member

A.) Does it run Motoblur?
    It runs the newer version of MotoBlur which looks amazing!
    B.) Is it a PenTile LCD?
    No idea
    C.) Is it unlocked?
    Yes!! :D
  8. Cozmosis

Cozmosis Member

Looks pentile from the shots.
  9. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member

Damn, just when I think Im ready to jump on the Evo 3D bandwagon, this comes along. Decisions, decisions.
  10. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

11. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Well, today, IOWA showed me the Moto Photon that's coming to sprint.

First thought, 'AWESOME!! Now I can have the hardware that I had with the X 2, on sprint, AND THE BOOTLOADER IS FIXED!'

Then I saw they retracted their statement about the bootloader being unlocked, replacing it with one stating it will indeed still be locked. I am super bummed now... was actually 100% sold on this thing too! Damn..... Moto, when are you gonna get your *poo* straight?
  12. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Locked boot loader helps get them the corporate sales...
  13. Bnice

Bnice Guest

You said IOWA , is he back or still banned?
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

And with the news that the govt is starting to replace Blackberries with Androids and iPhones...I think Moto and their encrypted bootloader might be an advantage for getting corporate and govt contracts.
  15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

No, its Motorolas first Android smartphone with WiMax on Sprint. The EVO and Epic were WiMax too. The EVO Shift probably is too. And probably some other Android phones I dont know about on Sprint...lol
  16. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Moved to Photon forum.
  17. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Right now, this is top on my list for possible upgrade.

Can anybody link me to some sort of explanation regarding pentile display? I'm not really picky about screens, as long as they're clear enough for me to read/see, but I'd like to see why there are so many complaints about that. Not sure if the Photon is a pentile display because I haven't seen any specifics mentioned about it.
  18. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^I guess we can start here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/303494-how-does-qhd-compare-super-amoled.html

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/274897-samoled-vs-slcd-vs-qhd-vs-retina-display.html

There are some Droid X2 threads about Pentile:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x2/343147-dx1-dx2-screen-comparisons.html

Got my X2 - Page 8 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Anyone else noticed.. - Page 2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Like with the Amoled vs. LCD debates...you will have to see it in person. I like the Photon, Bionic and the DX2....but Pentile is one thing I hated about Amoled screens from last year. Then I saw where someone said it looked different on the Sensation or EVO 3D? Its all a crap shoot...lol
    twospirits and drexappeal like this.
  19. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Supposedly Moto isn't calling the UI MotoBlur anymore...I think because it got a bad rep
  20. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Yea, he's been perma banned from ever coming back to AF. So... that was that with him. I still keep in touch with him though.
  21. drexappeal

I was reading through the threads you posted and based on what I've read, if the screen is a Pentile display, I don't think it's going to be an issue for my needs. In my situation, the fact that this phone is focused towards business, but also combines multimedia needs, it really is an ideal choice for me.

So far, the only thing that is a little disappointing (as far as specs are concerned) is the front facing camera is like .3 mp, which is probably going to be a big drop off from the 1.3 I have on my EVO. Only time I use the FFC is for pics I'm taking with friends/family (because I hate handing my phone to someone I don't know to take a picture...LOL). I don't really video chat, when I need to talk to someone and any video conferencing that I do is done via computer or a direct feed at the office.
  22. drexappeal

23. drexappeal

I thought it had already been posted in here, but I'm posting again, just so you all can take a look. Sprint's official press release as a more detailed "fact sheet." It's not necessarily all the information that everyone might want, but at least these are the official specs that Sprint is offering for public knowledge at this time:
    Sprint Newsroom | Motorola Photon 4G fact sheet
  24. Smiles

Smiles Active Member

I have an EVO 3G. I cannot envision what else anyone would want. For instance, what will a dual core processor do for me? Are my calls going to complete faster? Are Angry Birds going to fly faster? I think it is just a reason to keep device prices high. It's like the old days of the Microsoft-Intel spiral.