• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola rumored to be making the next nexus? [Its official]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that's why Google didn't remove the device. They want this device to be known as the best that ever lived . I think we maybe getting something good and bad azzzzzz I think . the only thing Lenovo has some good devices but the updates are wild and causes Lenovo to ask for the devices back so they losing BIG MONEY if you ask me . Motorola will never be like it was:mad::eek::what:

Upvote 0
I don't understand this move myself. Phone Arena's recent poll on cell phone size shows that "an overwhelming majority of people think that the sweet spot for a smartphone screen is between 4.5 inches and 5.5 inches." Yet companies keep pumping out devices toward the very high end of that range.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-26-07-09-30~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-26-07-09-30~2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I can see why some devices in that range exist: there is a significant market niche there. But it only makes sense for a manufacturer who is producing many devices, not if it's your only device, since it is a niche.

Of course the Nexus' original conception as a "technology showcase" does allow it to be a niche product, but as a development platform you'd want it to be mainstream. The optimist in me still hopes this might mean that there will be a mainstream Nexus (a 5 refresh) as well as a phablet.

But phone manufacturers certainly don't seem to be catering the the audience of that poll. If we assume for the sake of argument that that poll is actually representative there are more votes in 4.5"-4.7" than there are in the whole > 5" range, but that range is barely served in this year's high-end models (indeed 4.5" is itself more popular than > 5.5"). And there are twice as many votes in the 4.5"-5" range as the whole of > 5", but 5" seems to be the minimum for a flagship this year, and most are larger.

So do the companies' marketing people have different data? Or are they afraid that they'll lose out to someone using "bigger screen" as a marketing tool and so keep gradually ratcheting-up the screen size themselves? The fact that 5" is the most popular screen size here is itself a step up from earlier polls that I remember, so there may be an element of people getting used to larger phones and voting for what they have. But I can't see that trend continuing to the point where 5.5" becomes the norm - there are just too many people who regard most phones as too large already (especially when you talk to people in the real world, rather than an enthusiast forum - the people I know who use phablets are hugely outnumbered by the people I know who regard my 4.7" phone as too large, a group who you rarely heard from in the forums).

Upvote 0
I can see why some devices in that range exist: there is a significant market niche there. But it only makes sense for a manufacturer who is producing many devices, not if it's your only device, since it is a niche.

Of course the Nexus' original conception as a "technology showcase" does allow it to be a niche product, but as a development platform you'd want it to be mainstream. The optimist in me still hopes this might mean that there will be a mainstream Nexus (a 5 refresh) as well as a phablet.

But phone manufacturers certainly don't seem to be catering the the audience of that poll. If we assume for the sake of argument that that poll is actually representative there are more votes in 4.5"-4.7" than there are in the whole > 5" range, but that range is barely served in this year's high-end models (indeed 4.5" is itself more popular than > 5.5"). And there are twice as many votes in the 4.5"-5" range as the whole of > 5", but 5" seems to be the minimum for a flagship this year, and most are larger.

So do the companies' marketing people have different data? Or are they afraid that they'll lose out to someone using "bigger screen" as a marketing tool and so keep gradually ratcheting-up the screen size themselves? The fact that 5" is the most popular screen size here is itself a step up from earlier polls that I remember, so there may be an element of people getting used to larger phones and voting for what they have. But I can't see that trend continuing to the point where 5.5" becomes the norm - there are just too many people who regard most phones as too large already (especially when you talk to people in the real world, rather than an enthusiast forum - the people I know who use phablets are hugely outnumbered by the people I know who regard my 4.7" phone as too large, a group who you rarely heard from in the forums).
Amongst the various phones I've used for nearly one year, I keep returning to my 5" Nexus 5 as my primary smartphone. I absolutely cannot imagine returning to 4.7" as I used previously. So for me, 5" is the minimum size I'll use. Now in this same time frame I also used my Note 3, that's a love/hate device for me. I loved the 5.7" display beyond compare.

The aspect of the phone I grew to hate was it's mechanical home button which requires a long press to invoke the app switcher. Both my Nexus 5 & LG G3 have my much loved, fast and efficient on screen keys with one dedicated to the app switcher. Multitasking with these buttons is lightning fast, a routine I grew to rely on hundreds times daily.

At this juncture my two favorites are the LG G3 and Nexus 5. Yet that said a 5.9" display would be ideal, especially on a Nexus phone. That's what I'm holding out for.

Finally if that doesn't materialize, I'll buy the 6" Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro. I end up getting the display size that's super advantageous, and forsake the pure Android advantage.

Upvote 0
Out of interest, what are the advantages of a screen like that to you?

I'm guessing your question is directed at me so I'll respond.

A large spacious screen is very beneficial for my usage. My work involves spending about forty percent of my time in the engineering lab using a computer.

Then about fifty percent of the time I'm traveling internationally, with a laptop and smartphone. Having a very fast paced country hopping schedule, I am using my smartphone for internet centric work where viewing area via a large display is ideal. Especially since the ability to use desktop web pages vs mobile ones is essential in many cases.

Whenever possible I use my laptop, but having a heavy workload and frequently moving through airports and other short stops, my smartphone gets a workout.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I don't believe the leaks. I can't see Google jumping from a 5" to a 5.9" this quickly! There may be a 5.9 model available but I'm expecting a 5.2-5.5 model as well.
I don't know which leaks to believe. Yesterday in France, a retailer had a page up showing the Nexus X with a 5.2” display, Snapdragon 805 SoC, 13-megapixel camera, and "Lemon Meringue Pie."

Nexus-X-leaks-again.jpg

Nexus-X-leaks-again.jpg

Source: Phone Arena

Upvote 0
I saw that leak TK made. It had so many things wrong with it. He stated a release date based on the webpage, and didn't even bother using google translate to see that the date was actually a sitewide banner for free pickup from august to September 17th. The one of the pages also lists the model number for the nexus 5 (magically corrected in the 64gb listing), in addition to the word quad being underlined - as though its open in an editor.

I personally won't trust anything he says now.

A lot of these "bloggers" want their 15 minutes of fame.

I totally agree. He's all over the place with this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones