• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Triumph Jelly Bean Please Sign Up!

I'd say not at all lol even if our device got a jelly bean update I'd run a custom rom like cm10 or mtdev cm10 anyway, more user customization

So true, just means all our hard work would be a breeze to update with new libs and kernel. Plus it would open doors for Phandroid, MIUI, and the list goes on!

My own thinking is along these lines. If Motorola does release a Jelly Bean upgrade for the Triumph, I expect that it will not be long after that that I see unofficial, pre-rooted, hacker-created ROMs that are better than the stock offering from Motorola. I will wait for one of those to become stable, and go with it.

I have, at this point, no significant Android experience outside of my Triumph. I've seen, in particular, how much the experience is improved by being able to root it, and how much it is further enhanced by the unofficial ROMs. I have no idea what benefits to expect by upgrading from Ginger Bread to Jelly Bean, but I very much doubt that they are worth giving up the benefits of rooting and using an unofficial ROM. I think I'll wait until I can upgrade to Jelly Bean without giving up these other benefits.

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
My own thinking is along these lines. If Motorola does release a Jelly Bean upgrade for the Triumph, I expect that it will not be long after that that I see unofficial, pre-rooted, hacker-created ROMs that are better than the stock offering from Motorola. I will wait for one of those to become stable, and go with it.

I have, at this point, no significant Android experience outside of my Triumph. I've seen, in particular, how much the experience is improved by being able to root it, and how much it is further enhanced by the unofficial ROMs. I have no idea what benefits to expect by upgrading from Ginger Bread to Jelly Bean, but I very much doubt that they are worth giving up the benefits of rooting and using an unofficial ROM. I think I'll wait until I can upgrade to Jelly Bean without giving up these other benefits.

Excellent points!!!

The more Triumph users who sign up will give Motorola an idea how many of us have been wanting and waiting for this and how popular this phone really is.

Quick question. I know that Motorola recently announced how to unlock the boot loader but that voids the warranty. Does this include the insurance offered by Virgin Mobile? I was just thinking that if something were to happen to my phone I would just run it over with my van and say it had an "accident" ;) and just send in the pieces.

Upvote 0
Excellent points!!!

The more Triumph users who sign up will give Motorola an idea how many of us have been wanting and waiting for this and how popular this phone really is.

Quick question. I know that Motorola recently announced how to unlock the boot loader but that voids the warranty. Does this include the insurance offered by Virgin Mobile? I was just thinking that if something were to happen to my phone I would just run it over with my van and say it had an "accident" ;) and just send in the pieces.

I don't recall seeing anything about the bootloader being unlockable on the Triumph. Do you have a link?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't recall seeing anything about the bootloader being unlockable on the Triumph. Do you have a link?

You know, I was doing some research for the Triumph and that article came up. I actually just glossed over it but read the disclaimer. My mistake, I thought it was about the Triumph. Sadly, I don't even know what unlocking the boot loader would do, but I never know what I might like to try in the future. That's why I asked :D.

Upvote 0
You know, I was doing some research for the Triumph and that article came up. I actually just glossed over it but read the disclaimer. My mistake. Sadly, I don't even know what unlocking the boot loader would do, but I never know what I might like to try in the future. That's why I asked :D.

Basically installing CWM is unlocking the boot loader, we just replaced it LOL. However with Motorola supported devices they give you access from the get go instead of needing to hack the phone and replace the .bin through download mode.

Reactions: andr2d2
Upvote 0
Excellent points!!!

I had to send multiple phones back to virgin mobile and every one of them was rooted and had a custom rom on it And I have never heard anything from them about them being rooted and i sent a total of 6 phones back

Upvote 0
Sounds like our MTDEVs are more talented and smarter than the techy dolts at Motorola if they say the phone can't even handle gingerbread. I contend that Moto is just giving us a snow job because we are with a prepaid carrier. Our devs are awesome. Perhaps g60 and some the others should get a job with Moto and show them how to build a "real" Rom!

Upvote 0
I signed up, and I don't have a triumph yet (though I will get one and flash a rom soon).

I would like for Moto to upgrade the phone, but I'm not sure if the $100 alone is a good substitute. Moto doesn't have another VM device and it appears that you have to trade the phone in to get the $100 card/credit. A rom'd triumph is probably the best phone on VM's $25 plan, it is more than $100 most everywhere, so that could leave us somewhat stuck in a position where we might turn down the $100.

Upvote 0
Damn, that's a massive surprise. I guess they are forgoing an official ICS release in favour of simply jumping right to JB?

I suspect that we will just end up receiving the $100 rebate instead, but we can always hope!

They are in essence buying our Triumphs for $100. I'm not sure how many people would take that. Some might, I'm sure some definitely would not.

Upvote 0
ive been looking around and found nothing solid so i figured i toss it out there

the $100 rebate or whatever can only be used on the phones they released or unveiled then which are
Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, and Razr M

First question has anyone seen which carriers they maybe on, so far i found nothin for the HD and the Maxx HD, but every picture and article i see for the Razr M has Verizon branded on the phones screen itself and says verizon somewhere in the article most times

Second question, Don't Razr's have no way to remove the battery lol cause if thats the case i would never buy one lol i wouldnt except a free one lol, ive been looking at the articles and pictures and it doesnt seem to say, altho the pictures clearly shows no door or plate on the back of the phone, but i figured it could be one of those ones where you actually pry the case itself apart and the whole back comes off to get to the battery

Either Way Come On JellyBean lol

Upvote 0
This is why I think they will upgrade us. Because there is no way VM is going to allow Motorola to move customers away to another carrier. Its just cheaper for them to upgrade us to jelly bean and keep all of us paying and happy, even if its on the $25 plan. Let's be realistic and say 500 users opt to leave at $100 that is 50k out of Motos hands. Or is it better to keep us all on the plan when its 500 users paying $25 say maybe 1 more year if we actually got JB that's $150k. However something tells me these numbers are very low as I am sure there is more than 500 users that have the Triumph and lots of users on other size plans. I think we all need to wait and see if Motorola comes through, now that Moto is owned by Google I believe Google cares about its customers and I truly believe they will do right by us.

Upvote 0
This is why I think they will upgrade us. Because there is no way VM is going to allow Motorola to move customers away to another carrier. Its just cheaper for them to upgrade us to jelly bean and keep all of us paying and happy, even if its on the $25 plan. Let's be realistic and say 500 users opt to leave at $100 that is 50k out of Motos hands. Or is it better to keep us all on the plan when its 500 users paying $25 say maybe 1 more year if we actually got JB that's $150k. However something tells me these numbers are very low as I am sure there is more than 500 users that have the Triumph and lots of users on other size plans. I think we all need to wait and see if Motorola comes through, now that Moto is owned by Google I believe Google cares about its customers and I truly believe they will do right by us.

This is what I think as well. The Triumph is the only Motorola device on VM, if they don't offer us JB, VM will lose many customers. I just hope somewhere some execs at VM are begging Google/Motorola to update this plastic square of disappointment.

Upvote 0
This is what I think as well. The Triumph is the only Motorola device on VM, if they don't offer us JB, VM will lose many customers. I just hope somewhere some execs at VM are begging Google/Motorola to update this plastic square of disappointment.

Vm does not want us to get ics that would make us keep our phones and $25 plans instead of upgrading to a new phone that wont get the $25 plan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones