• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola wasting no time on Announcing the DROID Razor! Samsung Nexus Prime where are u?

as for the people favoring the form factor of the Razr more than the Prime that is understandable but for me the ability for the Prime to get updates before anyone else because its a Google device far out weighs a lot of things on other phones. I know Google just bought Moto and we (myself included) would like to think that will get updates to Moto phones faster but i don't think that is going to happen.
I would agree with this completely if I didn't plan on rooting my phone. I first took the plunge with rooting back in January of 2010 when it didn't look like the OS update for the Droid would be coming anytime soon. It felt great to be free of the carrier update schedule...

Upvote 0
i also say that it would be too late for Google to pump the brakes on the Nexus device. Also not enough time since the purchase of Moto for Moto to get that far ahead. I say it is next year before we even see any benefits from Google purchasing Moto.

I would pretty much bet the farm that the Next Nexus running Jellybean in 2012 is going to be a Motorola device...

Jeez...imagine the specs on that monster!

Upvote 0
your post is kind of contradicting yourself. You say VZW won't allow unlocked bootloaders yet there have been, are now and probably about to be with the prime , devices on their network with unlockable-relockable bootloaders. Two of which are Moto devices.

I'm not counting the OG Droid because that was the grand original and they didn't lock bootloaders back then. Only AFTER they saw the tremendous dev community and the lucrative bloatware market did they decide to do that.

XOOM I'll give you. But I will be shocked, stunned and amazed beyond speech if Verizon - who make gobs of money loading crapware on their phones - told Moto "okay, go ahead and unlock all your bootloaders so devs can wipe our bloatware off."

Upvote 0
Another thing as well, Verizon could have a very BIG hand in this as well! They are like the Apple of the carriers, extremely controlling. Who knows if they put the breaks on some current events as well. Don't forget, they're getting the iphone 4s, and maybe Apple stepped in and said something. Verizon did speak up a few weeks ago saying they were behind Samsung with all this legal stuff....That was before the iphone 4s announcement? Would they want to risk having issues with Apple? If there is one thing I know it's this.. Apple is very scared of Samsung...This Prime could do alot of damage on the phone market, and Apple knows it!

Upvote 0
I'm not counting the OG Droid because that was the grand original and they didn't lock bootloaders back then. Only AFTER they saw the tremendous dev community and the lucrative bloatware market did they decide to do that.

XOOM I'll give you. But I will be shocked, stunned and amazed beyond speech if Verizon - who make gobs of money loading crapware on their phones - told Moto "okay, go ahead and unlock all your bootloaders so devs can wipe our bloatware off."
There is some middle ground here. There is a difference between unlocked and unlockable bootloaders. Unlockable means that the standard Verizon bloat will stay on the vast majority of phones while greatly pleasing those of us who like to develop and root by providing a key.

By the way, are there any stats out there on what percentage of Android devices are rooted? That would be fascinating to know.

Upvote 0

then how do you explain the Prime coming with a lockable/unlockable boot loader?

Upvote 0
Very exciting time to be using an Android phone and be linked to VZW ....I have a feeling alot will go down between tomorrow and the new year! U have the Vigor, which I hope is a version of the Amaze, you have the Nexus Prime, and now u have this DROID Razr....

Exciting time in the land of Android, expensive time if your a tech junkie like me! But some very cool stuff coming our way very soon...

Also I think it may be safe to say the Prime will indeed be a Nexus Device without DROID branding...especially that with this new Razr / Spider in the pipeline ....All Vzw moto phones carry the DROID brand, so pretty safe to say this next Moto phone will carry heavy DROID branding...no way they have 2 flag ships carrying the name and branding so close to each other.

I guess the Prime will be the tech junkie phone with a natural Android feel, and the Razr will be the heavily promoted DROID branded phone with a zillion commercials. Remember, the original Razr changed the game and was like the biggest selling phone ever...So it will be heavily promoted going forward and into the Holidays.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones