• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola XOOM and intro

ddelatorre

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
HI,

I just registered, in CA, biologist. I have a question. I own the Droid X phone with Verizon connection. I am interested in getting rid of my laptop and using a tablet instead. I spend a lot of time out in the field away from society and need to know whats the best way to connect 3G or wifi. I assume there is no wifi out in the Mojave desert miles away from the city. I eally like the Motorola XOOM but I need to know do I need the 3G version or is the wifi version ok? I don't need any phone capabilities, just internet, emails etc. So advice please.........Also if I use wifi I am not paying for any time, and if its 3G I do correct?

thanks Debbie

Welcome to the forums :)

I think you will have a hard time finding either signal way out in the desert unfortunately :(

The one nice thing about getting a 3G/4G tablet though is that it has WiFi too, so you have options. I recently advised a friend to buy the 3G with no contract and try using it as WiFi only to see how she liked it for a few months. :)

hope that helps!

Upvote 0
HI,

I just registered, in CA, biologist. I have a question. I own the Droid X phone with Verizon connection. I am interested in getting rid of my laptop and using a tablet instead. I spend a lot of time out in the field away from society and need to know whats the best way to connect 3G or wifi. I assume there is no wifi out in the Mojave desert miles away from the city. I eally like the Motorola XOOM but I need to know do I need the 3G version or is the wifi version ok? I don't need any phone capabilities, just internet, emails etc. So advice please.........Also if I use wifi I am not paying for any time, and if its 3G I do correct?

thanks Debbie

Debbie,

Welcome to the AndroidForums!

I think I can help you out :). I happen to also be a Droid X owner as well as a Moto Xoom (wi-fi version) owner (un-rooted, by the way).

The really cool news: you can easily (trivially, actually) tether the Moto Xoom to your Droid X via the blue tooth connection...its awesome and works very well. It also seems to be free of the controversy surrounding tethering these days since this is a lwell-know, free, and easy thing to setup.

I love my Xoom...its a little bit on the heavy side compared to other tables, buts its very well made and we'll probably get all the OTA Android updates first / early since its a developer device.

Let me know if you have any questions...or take a stroll over to the Moto Xoom forum for lots more information from those great folks:

Motorola XOOM - Android Forums

Xoom - Tips and Tricks - Android Forums

Xoom - Support and Troubleshooting - Android Forums

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones