• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola's disrespect

This is the problem with Android in general. Too many people have their hands in when updates get to the phones. Not to mention, how much research does one need to do to figure out what phone is the best in this regard? The Cliq can be rooted but not the Cliq XT? Droid runs "stock" Android but the Droid X runs Motoblur? Does anyone remember when Motorola first revealed MotoBlur? Nobody at the press conference even know it was a skin and not the name of a phone model. I had friends talking about the new MotoBlur phone coming out soon.

I only see this getting worse too. You wonder why people don't like their carriers and their manufactures. They are standing in the way of Google's updates and my satisfaction!

Upvote 0
Its just good business, why would they waste the money on updates for a second rate phone, do you see the yankees goin out and spending millions on crap players? I feel your pain for being lied to, but I don't blame moto for not spending the money just so they can keep their word.

As a (now) past owner of the Cliq XT I very much do blame them. I'll also never make the mistake of buying any Motorola product ever again, as an Android phone that never gets updates is pretty much useless in the long run.

Upvote 0
I have a Motorola cliq xt
So one day my phones running fine and I turn it off n when I turned it back on it was and still is going crazy. I can't see anything on the home screen, its all black and a window saying "the application setup wizard (process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" keeps on popping up after I click force close. And now I can't make ant phone calls or anything. Any ideas or advice on what I should do????

Upvote 0
Thnx for setting this up I will join the group. So for us Moto Cliq owners are we stuck on 1.5 or what? My phone si on 1.5 and I cant figure out a way to upgrade it and I really want that Kindle App

It isn't disrespect, it is business. Do you expect a car company to continue engineering on a car that has already been on the market for 2-3 years? No, they spend their time and money of a new car that you will want instead of your 2-3 year old car. Same goes with phones. Companies are not going to waste their money and time working on making software work on a 2-3 year old phone. They will not make money by giving you a free software update. They make money by selling new phones.

It is totally unrealistic and unreasonable for all of you who think these companies should spend their time and money to get you new software on your old phone.

I seriously doubt Moto every officially said they would be releasing new software for those phones. You all are basing it off of rumors that you took as fact and are now mad at Moto because you fell for a rumor

Upvote 0
It isn't disrespect, it is business. Do you expect a car company to continue engineering on a car that has already been on the market for 2-3 years? No, they spend their time and money of a new car that you will want instead of your 2-3 year old car. Same goes with phones. Companies are not going to waste their money and time working on making software work on a 2-3 year old phone. They will not make money by giving you a free software update. They make money by selling new phones.

It is totally unrealistic and unreasonable for all of you who think these companies should spend their time and money to get you new software on your old phone.

I seriously doubt Moto every officially said they would be releasing new software for those phones. You all are basing it off of rumors that you took as fact and are now mad at Moto because you fell for a rumor

WHAT? Your analogy does not fit at all into what is actually going on, so your not making any sense. My motorola backflip is months newer than the og droid, yet its already getting froyo and we haven't even been graced with the likes of 1.6 (not that we would get that anyway)... and fyi--They did promise to release the update officially. ill find the link for you.

Upvote 0
WHAT? Your analogy does not fit at all into what is actually going on, so your not making any sense. My motorola backflip is months newer than the og droid, yet its already getting froyo and we haven't even been graced with the likes of 1.6 (not that we would get that anyway)... and fyi--They did promise to release the update officially. ill find the link for you.
The backflip was a lower end inferior phone the day it was released. So just because it came out afterword, that is like comparing a Corolla to a Camry. Even if Toyota comes out with a newly redesigned Corolla, it is still an inferior car to the Camry.

If they officially said they would upgrade, then I get what you are saying. But if all you guys are basing your "disrespect" claims off of the rumors that come out on a daily basis, then you should be blaming yourself and not Motorola

Upvote 0
The backflip was a lower end inferior phone the day it was released. So just because it came out afterword, that is like comparing a Corolla to a Camry. Even if Toyota comes out with a newly redesigned Corolla, it is still an inferior car to the Camry.

If they officially said they would upgrade, then I get what you are saying. But if all you guys are basing your "disrespect" claims off of the rumors that come out on a daily basis, then you should be blaming yourself and not Motorola

What you say now goes against your original statement either way, and with even taking that into account I personally would deem it very disrespectful for any manufacturer to claim a product i purchased from them "inferior". Especially if they are using that statement in defense to providing me with promised updates.

heres the link : https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Upvote 0
What you say now goes against your original statement either way, and with even taking that into account I personally would deem it very disrespectful for any manufacturer to claim a product i purchased from them "inferior". Especially if they are using that statement in defense to providing me with promised updates.

heres the link : https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Read your own link.
"The information contained herein is provided for information purposes only and is intended only to outline Motorola’s presently anticipated general technology direction. The information communicated is not a commitment or an obligation to deliver any product, product feature, software upgrade or functionality and Motorola reserves the right to make changes to the content and timing of any product, product feature or software release. The software functionality and features provided by a specific version of the Android operating system may vary by phone and manufacturer."
Your arguement is pointless. You bought a low end phone but want high end software, and claim to have been promised to get such software when in fact you were NEVER promised anything other than what you bough the phone with

Upvote 0
Let it be said now so that nobody will get the wrong idea: something called "Charm" and looks like
motorola-charm.jpg

is also likely to be a tween texter
Words cannot describe how ugly this phone is, and I've seen plenty of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones