1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Mounting PIN-Locked Phone On Raspberry Pi

1. Haselsmasher

Haselsmasher New Member

I want to automatically (via cron) mount my Android phone's file system onto a Raspberry Pi. I can do this manually. I got a Samba server running on the phone and I can do a 'mount' command on the Pi. The issue is that I have PIN-level security set on my phone (and I can't disable it - it's forced by my work) so when I do the 'mount' command I have to enter the phone's PIN on the Raspberry Pi's keyboard. I've tried to get the script to read input from a file - but it won't do it.

Does anyone have any idea how I could get around this so I can mount the file system without human intervention?

Thanks.

Jim

Advertisement
    :
  2. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Well-Known Member

Are we talking about a lockscreen pin here? Sounds like you could simply enter the pin, plug in the phone, then it will automount since you already unlocked the PIN whilst on the phone.
  3. Haselsmasher

Haselsmasher New Member

Yes - that would work. However I'm trying to figure out if I can make this happen without interacting with it at all. I'd like to use Tasker on the phone to turn on the Samba server at a pre-determined time. Then have cron on the Pi wake up a script running on the Pi that would 1) automount the Droid file system and 2) automatically copy off any new pictures. I know how I'm going to do #2. I just need to figure out if I can get the file system mounted without human intervention.

Thanks.

Jim
  4. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Well-Known Member

I see.

Are you doing the connection via Wi-Fi or via USB storage? Launching and enabling Samba should already automount as a node on any windows workgroup, with its own IP address, over Wi-Fi. The PIN screen shouldn't interfere with that, I would think. Which would mean you've got to configure the Pi as if you were trying to automount a windows box that was already announcing its presence to the network.