• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Move Applications from old SD card to new SD card

marcusmpe

May 13, 2010
Hi everyone, I've searched and searched for this but I can't find anything like this.

I just upgraded to the Droid RAZR Maxx and it came with an awesome 16GB SD card. I'm looking to move some of my previous application information from my old SD card to the new one. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I've made an entire copy of the old SD card contents, but looking at the file system it isn't clear what I need to move. I've tried inserting the old card into the new phone, and installing the same application to the SD card, but it doesn't use the old save data.

Using the example of Angry Birds Rio, I see one file that looks like it might correspond:
.android_secure\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio-1.asec

However I have no clue how to proceed. I still have the old phone working perfectly, so if there is a way to do this, I should be able to make it happen.

Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!
Marcus

Not sure exactly what you mean. When I put in the old SD card into my new phone, the apps don't show up at all. There is definitely enough storage on the Razr to accommodate it, am I missing a step?

The apps do not completely reside on the sdcard, that's why you can't just switch.

Any paid apps will be installed on the new phone because they are tied to your google account.
The free apps you will have to reinstall. You can use a file explorer app like ES file explorer or astro and backup the apk files for the free apps if you want, but that won't give you the configurations you've done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones