Move apps from phone to SD card

1. MuraliDharanV

MuraliDharanV Member

Dear All,

I am using SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND and the Android Version is 4.1.2 (latest firmware).

I have referred all relevant thread and I don't get what exactly I need and I am posting a new thread.

I have searched for "Moving Apps from Phone to SD Card in Android without rooting" and found a useful article from - Install Apps to SD Card on Your Android Phone Without Rooting it | Plugged In

I followed the steps and successfully modified the Apps Installation Location to External Card for my future downloading apps. But the Issue is I dont know what is the step to move my existing apps to external card since i get error "Insufficient Space" when I download any update for my existing app.

I guess, after modifying the App Installation Location to external storage and downloading the update for existing app, it will try to find the existing app path in the external storage and returning error.

I am clear with modifying the App Installation Path for further (future) downloading apps but not sure how to move existing apps from phone to external storage.

Please help me.

Advertisement
  2. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

Most app management apps can move your app to SD. This one is very popular and works well:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd

The default Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications can do it too. Tap an app in the list and then tap "Move to SD card".

However, the native app2sd function (which is what is manipulated by all of these app management apps including the one in Settings) is quite limited. You will save a little space but not a lot. Copies of the app are still kept on the internal storage in the dalvik-cache, the app's data is still kept on internal storage, etc. This was probably the main reason I rooted my phone, so I could use link2sd instead.
    Mr. Lucky, ocnbrze and SZI like this.
  3. MuraliDharanV

MuraliDharanV Member

Thanks for your reply.

Ok. Let me try it.