• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Move gigs off SD card onto internal memory

Kuttaboy

Lurker
Nov 26, 2016
So some months ago Omega said, "You can install an sd card like a 32gb on the phone. From there you can do a little tweaking to get a few GBs off the SD card to internal memory, and whats left to external memory.

Example:
32GB sd card, 25GB goes for internal and 7gb for external, now the 25GBs DOES COMBINE WITH THE INTERNAL PHONE MEMORY. So you would have about ~28GB of internal memory considering you gave the 8gb model.. Now does ot work? YES, large files you download off the app store like games will download now!

The best part, NO root required, and even the phones system data, at least part of it moves to the sd card making even more room on the originals phone s internal memory!"

And he hasn't been active since. I know the stylo is a couple years old but besides the memory problem I really like it, and it's way better than this piece I'm using now.

I looked everywhere trying to figure out how to do this and I'm stumped. If anyone knows how to do this it'd be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I wrote a reply in the original post where I found this solution a couple weeks back and haven't had any reply

You will need ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC and also read carefully the link Dontpanic posted above. There are some steps you may have to substitute to get the split of part adoptable/part portable.

This guy's blog entries on adoptable storage helped me set up my LG G stylo and split up the sd card into adoptable and portable.

http://blog.sam.liddicott.com/2016/02/android-6-semi-adopted-storage.html

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
Well I gave up already lol. I went to dontpanic's link and followed the steps. Once I got to, "6) On your computer, open a command-prompt in the ADB directory (which should be c:\adb)." I found the adb folder and opened adb.exe. It ran something but wouldn't stay open. I also ran the command prompt and ran adb.exe which brought some stuff up but it wouldn't list my device.

Upvote 0
Well I gave up already lol. I went to dontpanic's link and followed the steps. Once I got to, "6) On your computer, open a command-prompt in the ADB directory (which should be c:\adb)." I found the adb folder and opened adb.exe. It ran something but wouldn't stay open. I also ran the command prompt and ran adb.exe which brought some stuff up but it wouldn't list my device.
Did you enable USB Debug mode on your phone?

Upvote 0
I think it might have something to do with windows 10 because I can run the adb.exe through the command promt but when I type adb devices all it says is, "list of devices". I had my phone connected and it was in debug mode and I could move files to and from the PC and phone.
Yes if you encounter a sudden lost of connection between your PC and your device while switching to fastboot, it usually means that the USB drivers don't work properly.

Reinstalling the latest USB drivers or using another PC with different Windows versions could fix the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones