Move over iPad, ANOTHER tablet PC is on the market (hmm do we really need another one?!)

Last Updated:

1. Dollface

Dollface New Member This Topic's Starter

Just like everybody else, inMedia's announced a tablet PC, and from the looks of the extremely tiny image we've been provided with, it's not exactly a looker. If you're keeping score, this one will be running Android 2.1, and will come in both seven and 10-inch varieties. While we don't know what kind of specs these slates will pack, we do know a few other details -- they'll have WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, a front-facing camera, and it'll come with a 32GB SD card. For now, we don't know when these will be available or how much they're going to cost, but we have a feeling that -- coming from a company with a product called the ROFL settop box -- it'll be a good time. We've requested a higher res image, we promise. (Laura June from engadget)

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Maybe it's just me but it seems like almost everybody is announcing new tablets... but almost nobody is actually releasing them to a more than eager marketplace. :rolleyes:

3. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

yeah we need more companies to release ANOTHER tablet because not many have actually be RELEASED yet and not many of them are fitting the criteria a lot of customers want.

4. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Yep they all are announcing them, but most never make it out beyond concept or low level channel support (for a reason, since most are low-end junk).

How freaking hard is it to release the following:

1. 7" to to 9" tablet
    2. 32gb internal
    3. micro sd storage
    4. wifi
    5. USB (non proprietary interface)
    6. Android 2.2 with guaranteed path to 3.0
    7. Front camera
    8. Market support
    9. Lower res scaling up option for apps (not pretty, but better than small box)
    10. Added: no arm11 chip. Only newer, approved chips for Adobe Flash 10.1.

First one to market will make an absolute KILLING in sales and gain marketshare. Should be the Tab, but how much will the carrier data and contract anchors kill the buzz? Wifi-only needs to release ASAP.

added:

I agree with Catfish.

5. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

the archos 101, despite its flaws, has what holding it back from getting Android 3.x on it? I've only read a lack of RAM would prevent it having 3.x

What I'm pondering is if Archos can make a capacitive 10 inch device that will sell for $300 US and could almost support 3.x why do a lot of the other devices end up retailing from $450 or higher?

The Archos 101 comes so close for me but I'll hold off buying for a little while after it releases to get public user feedback and see how the support is for it. I'd also prefer an out-of-the-box Market device rather than hacking it onto the device.