Move to SD and widgets disappearing in Froyo.

Last Updated:

1. jjsevier

jjsevier New Member This Topic's Starter

In the unrooted 2.2 rom from HTC I moved all the apps I could to the SD card to free up space. I had widgets for Pandora and 3 Banana Notes on my home screen.

After the move to SD these widgets showed up as widget not working or some other error message on the home screen. I rebooted hoping that would help but it didn't so I then trashed the broken widgets and tried to re-add them to the home screen. They were no longer in the list of available widgets. I could still open the apps from the app drawer but the widgets were nowhere to be found. I rebooted again just in case but no change.

I then moved the apps back from the SD to the phone and boom, the widgets were back in the list of available widgets. So, it appears that if you move the app to the SD card the app's widget doesn't appear in the list.

I guess this makes sense as if you don't have the card in you couldn't use the app so the widget wouldn't function properly. I just haven't heard about this limitation before and wondered if anyone else had experienced this. I'm aware this build may not be final so perhaps this behavior may change in future releases.

Advertisement
  2. jdjmad

jdjmad Member

Have you tried removing the widget and replacing it after you move it to the SD card?

I know whenever I update Beautiful Widgets, my widgets go away until I reinstall them.

3. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Not all apps support SD yet though.

4. jjsevier

jjsevier New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I did remove the widget and tried to replace it but the widget was no longer in the list of available widgets, almost as if the app didn't have a widget associated with it. And I'm aware that not all apps can be moved to the SD card, in this case both of the widgets I had problems with were associated with apps capable of being moved to the SD card and I believe that actually moving them to the sd is what caused the issue. Moving them back to the phone fixed the problem.

5. REVNU

REVNU Active Member

Same problem here. Pandora Widget keeps disappearing from the list of widgets to install.

After the initial install it works fine. Then after a bit you go back to whatever screen the widget is/was on and it says there is an error. When you remove it, then go back into the Widgets to reinstall it, it's gone, but the app is still there. Weird. Hope they fix this issue.