Move update.zip to root of sd card?

Last Updated:

1. Diver88

Diver88 Active Member This Topic's Starter

hey everyone. i'm attepmting to root my phone for the first time. after alot of consideration i figured i'd try it. i got SPRecovery on it no problem and did an advanced nandroid backup. but i can't get the update.zip file copied to the root of the sd card. how do i do that?
    stupid question i know but ohwell.

Advertisement
  2. IxMRW0LFxI

IxMRW0LFxI Active Member

To move it to the root of the sd card you need to plug your phone in and drag it from where ever you have it on your computer to the sdcard.

3. Diver88

ive done that but when i go into sprecovery to install the file it says the file does not exist.

4. FUCCO

FUCCO Well-Known Member

try putting it on the top of the files of the sd card. Right click and go to view then rearrange the files so update.zip is on the top of the card.

5. IxMRW0LFxI

IxMRW0LFxI Active Member

Are you choosing the option to choose the zip from sdcard so you can see if you can find it for yourself?

6. Diver88

the file should still be zipped when its on the sd card, right?

7. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Have you confirmed that it is named update.zip exactly?

I say this because Windows likes to hide file extensions of known file types. So, if you're naming it update.zip, it may actually be update.zip.zip, which would cause SPRecovery to not recognize it.

8. Diver88

i can get the file moved to the sd card no problem. but its when i go into sprecovery to flash the file it doesnt recignise it.

9. dcameron87

dcameron87 New Member

Yes it should still be zipped.. Sorry for asking another question here but i am wondering why everytime i try to install a rom it tells me( Whole-File Signature failed) i have my phone rooted but am new to the moto droid-moved from the eris) IF anyone could direct me that would be great

10. Diver88

its named update.zip exactly.

11. Diver88

i can even go into astro and find it but it wont apply thru sprecovery.

12. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Try using astro to rename it

Another thing I'm not trying insult just covering all bases. You are putting it on your sd card not in any folder right.

Are you allowing update.zip installation?

ColeRoolz likes this.
  13. Diver88

oh no insult taken. im new so i'll take all the suggestions i can get.
    i havent tried renaming it in astro. and yes. the middle line that says allow, select that one then select install. correct?

14. Diver88

and yes. the zip file is its own file. no folder.

15. Diver88

got it. renamed it in astro and it worked. all installed.

16. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

not sure why that worked but I am glad I suggested it. Glad you got things worked out

Diver88 likes this.
  17. Force1stiptopped

Force1stiptopped Active Member

having the same problem here, tried both BB.04 and the regular rooted 2.1 update zip and SPrecovery will not find it for some reason..

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

did you try the stuff recommended in this thread like renaming with astro?

19. Force1stiptopped

Force1stiptopped Active Member

i did and when i went to edit it in astro it had it as update.zip.zip even though on my computer/ phone it wasnt..

got it fixed now tho! thanks!!

20. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

I am not clear on what ''root of SD card'' means. I have downloaded a MIUI rom zip to my sd card. I can see it on Astro inside download file. Is this corrrect or do I need to do somthing else before flashing this rom in recovery??

21. d-man

d-man Active Member

Don't bother with this silliness. The view order in your file manager has nothing to do with where the files are located in the underlying file system.

22. d-man

d-man Active Member

"Root" in this case refers to the parent folder which contains all the other folders on the card. If it's in the download folder (there's a difference between folders and "files" BTW), then it's not in the root.

The fact that you don't understand the basics of files and folders should be a big warning sign telling you: You don't know what you are doing and should NOT be messing around with rooting your phone.

teddyearp likes this.
  23. FastLane1000

FastLane1000 New Member

Oh Hush, He's learning. Just like I am and just like you did at one time.

24. d-man

d-man Active Member

You're right, and I didn't mean to come off as elitist. The desire to tinker should be encouraged - it is the driving force behind Open Source Software and Android.

But I still recommend the above poster learn more about file systems and computers in general, before he messes something up that he has no idea how to fix. Same for the guy who thought changing the view order in his file manager would help.

One of the best way to learn is by tinkering, but start with something that won't turn your expensive smart phone into an expensive brick. Get an old computer and install Ubuntu on it: Desktop | Ubuntu It's actually the same underlying operating system as Android (Linux), so you can use some of the same commands and programs that you would use on your rooted phone, while learning firsthand how file systems, networking, users, and permissions work in Linux / Android.

There is a reason our phones don't come with root access by default - Motorola doesn't want to deal with warranty claims every time someone deletes the wrong file. If we encourage people who aren't sure what they are doing to root their phones, we are increasing the rate of these claims, which will lead Motorola to do even more to lock down their phones, which is bad news for everyone.

25. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with d-man. My Motorola A855 can be compared pretty well with the desktop computer I was using back in 1999-2000 or so. I'm not trying to sound elitist either, but if one doesn't understand the very basics of file managemnet, one should really try to read up more before they just want to 'jump on the band wagon'.

read more, post less.

johnlgalt likes this.